Options

Sunrise on the Blue Ridge Mountains

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited October 6, 2014 in Landscapes
Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia is a beautifully scenic destination I spend a lot of time in. This sunrise was particularly beautiful.

As always critique is not only welcome but appreciated.
DSC00502ab_hpf_72dpi-X3.jpg

DSC00510a_vibadj_72dpi_Sm2-X2.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2014
    Love the fire colors! #1 is Joyous!thumb.giflust
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2014
    Nice captures, Jack. I've spent many hours motorcycling through the Shenandoah Valley. It's easy to understand why you spend time there...got to be one of the most beautiful areas of our country. I left Front Royal one morning, before daylight, heading south on the Skyline Drive. It was during the height of Fall colors and, when the Sun came up, it exposed a scene of unimaginable splendor. As I'm sure you know, the views from up on the Skyline Drive, looking down on the valley below, are spectacular....complimenting very well the close-up look you get from riding the valley floor. We need to meet up there sometime.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Love the fire colors! #1 is Joyous!thumb.giflust
    Thanks Taz. Your landscapes, along with those of several others on this forum, has been an inspiration for me to spend more time honing my skills in this area.

Jack
  • Options
    LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2014
    Both great pictures, but I liked the composition of #2 better. Brilliant!
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2014
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2014
    Nice captures, Jack. I've spent many hours motorcycling through the Shenandoah Valley. It's easy to understand why you spend time there...got to be one of the most beautiful areas of our country. I left Front Royal one morning, before daylight, heading south on the Skyline Drive. It was during the height of Fall colors and, when the Sun came up, it exposed a scene of unimaginable splendor. As I'm sure you know, the views from up on the Skyline Drive, looking down on the valley below, are spectacular....complimenting very well the close-up look you get from riding the valley floor. We need to meet up there sometime.

Tom

Howdy Tom
    How frequently do you get up here? I live about 28 mile east of Front Royal. You've got to let me know if you,re up here so we can get together. I now have a great nephew living in St Augustine so I'll be getting down there this winter for another shooting spree with you.

Jack
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2014
    Beautiful photos, Jack! Since I've been in Charlotte, I've done the length of the BRP in NC - did the last section up to the VA border on Saturday. Haven't had the chance to get on the VA section yet, but it's on the list.
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2014
    Great images, astounding light and color. I too prefer #2 for the composition. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 5, 2014
    Awesome, Jack. After much consideration, I think I'm going to go with #2. I think the colors and fog are better, and I'm always a sucker for a sunstar. nod.gif Nice job controlling the highlights. thumb.gif
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2014
    Terrific. It doesn't hurt that you had some great light. You knew what to do with it.
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2014
    Love 'em both Jack.
    -Len
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2014
    LightMagic wrote: »
    Both great pictures, but I liked the composition of #2 better. Brilliant!

Thanks for looking. It seems #2 is favored by most.
    boco wrote: »
    mooi maar wel erg fel die kleuren.
    grt,boco.

Dankie Boco. Ek waardeer jou kommentaar.
    moose135 wrote: »
    Beautiful photos, Jack! Since I've been in Charlotte, I've done the length of the BRP in NC - did the last section up to the VA border on Saturday. Haven't had the chance to get on the VA section yet, but it's on the list.

Thanks Moose. Big Meadows is as far south as I've gone so far.

Jack
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome, Jack. After much consideration, I think I'm going to go with #2. I think the colors and fog are better, and I'm always a sucker for a sunstar. nod.gif Nice job controlling the highlights. thumb.gif

Thanks kdog. I think I toned down the colors in #1 thinking maybe it was overcooked. I generally love highly saturated images so I threw #2 in to see what others thought.

jack

Jack
  • Options
    merlinusmerlinus Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2014
    Fantastic light. I especially like the first one.
    -merlin
    Ubuntu Linux - LightZone - GIMP
    Visit my gallery