Options

Pricing advice kindly appreciated!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Beginner grinnerYorkshire, UK.Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 7, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi,

I'm a product an lifestyle photographer based in the UK, I have 7 years academic training in fine art with photography at one of the most prestigious art institutions in the UK, since graduating with a masters, I have worked professionally as a commercial photographer in a high-end photography studio shooting for some renowned brands and have been published in several magazines. I also work as an ambassador for The Prince's Trust of England, giving talks on photography, e-commerce, business and creativity UK-wide.

Recently I have decided to go freelance and am wondering what I should be charging for my services (I suspect I should be charging more as a freelancer than my hourly rate at the studio I was employed at).

Would anyone be kind enough to take a look at my website and guess a rough quote as to what kind of figure might be charged for this kind of quality, level and experience of work?

Thanks so much in advance, my website is www.ruthellenbrown.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    Hi (again)and welcome to Digital Grin.

Don't let minor squabbles stop you from posting. You will get some good info and support here.

I viewed your website and yes you are talented and competent. Your photography is solid.

Now as to what to charge based on your education and experience.................Disclaimer, this could be my opinion only or an American view not held in Europe.

While your education and experience is nice and will absolutely open doors it doesn't set any real criteria for pricing. The quality of your work does that. Getting hired, and setting the price is based on your photography, and your presentation as well as local business / economic conditions.

Yes you should be charging more that what your salary was as an employee.

Now as to your about me. First you are a nice looking intelligent articulate young lady, but I would highly recommend you redo your video and stop your gaze and eyes from wandering all over the place. This is really distracting and I know you can do way better than that!

Research what others are charging. What were the rates of your former employer? That will give you an idea of the market price range, and from there you need to be as objective and honest as you can and set your prices. My guess is your pricing should be in the top 10% or 15%.

Sorry I can't help with specific prices.

Good luck and keep us posted. :D

Sam __________________