Options

Surprise Files

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited October 10, 2014 in Weddings
Weirdest thing happened. I shot a wedding back in June, and as far as I was concerned it was in the can, a done deal, all she wrote. Then last week I was poking through my LR folders, kind of vaguely looking for something, and holy crap, I see, in my April 2014 folder, 225 or so photos from the wedding in June, photos that hadn't been processed, or even seen until now. I do remember thinking, in the back of my mind while I was processing those wedding pics, that there were photos that I thought I had taken but didn't see, but since the count was right up around the number I would have shot for that length and size wedding, I thought no more of it. And I checked and double-checked (as usual) that all of the cards had been uploaded. Geesh, this was so weird, and pretty embarrassing. I quickly processed and posted the images and sent an e-mail to the couple, saying, "This is crazy and has never happened before, but I found more of your wedding photos..." And they were some of the best pics from the reception. So apparently there was one card that mistakenly imported to my April folder.

I'm curious as to whether this has ever happened to anybody before? Kind of the reverse of losing images, I guess.

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    sara505 wrote: »
    Weirdest thing happened......

I'm curious as to whether this has ever happened to anybody before? Kind of the reverse of losing images, I guess.

To the best of my knowledge, no it has never happened to me. Maybe once, within the first half-dozen weddings I ever photographed, possibly, but I don't recall.

The question is, what # wedding is this for YOU? If you've been at this for a while, then I'd highly recommend sitting down and re-evaluating your entire workflow for consistency / safety leaks. How each memory card gets downloaded and imported, and formatted, and how you cull, process, and deliver images. If something like this happened, then there was room for error at some point in time that needs to be identified. Even if it has since been eliminated as a loophole in your workflow, you'll sleep better at night if you know everything is working right.

Good luck! And yeah, that's sure a lot better problem to investigate than the opposite way 'round!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    Do you import in Lightroom, or anther program? I have been using LR for 5 years now, but always used PIcasa to import because I HATED the way LR always put it in dated sub-folders rather than one of my choosing (I have since figured out how to change that - DUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH - but only recently, when forced because Picasa is a hot mess these days and crashes more than it runs. But I digress...)

In any case, a couple of times (probably after upgrading to a new version of LR and hadn't checked my preferences) it would auto-detect a card and start uploading before I had a chance to cancel out of that and redirect it to my hard drive, but by then it had already made a folder and dumped some images into it. IF you have "don't import suspected duplicates" selected.... it didn't include those images when I restarted into a different folder.

Not sure this is what happened to you, but I do know it caught me off guard a few times. I'll occasionally find folders I didn't know about - always in LR date format - in sub-sub-directories. FWIW. If the card in question hadn't been re-used since then, there's no reason they wouldn't be there still....
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2014
    Matt, I've shot more weddings than I can count and never had anything like this happen. Always a first time for everything, I guess, and yes, I will be even more diligent in the future. Diva - I use LR to import, exclusively. Most likely user error, probably hit Import prematurely. Yes, a happy ending compared to other possibilities.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2014
    sara505 wrote: »
    Matt, I've shot more weddings than I can count and never had anything like this happen. Always a first time for everything, I guess, and yes, I will be even more diligent in the future. Diva - I use LR to import, exclusively. Most likely user error, probably hit Import prematurely. Yes, a happy ending compared to other possibilities.

Indeed, I suspected that you've probably already got a solid workflow down, I was mainly just saying that personally, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night until I'd solved the puzzle of how this happened. But, sounds like something that should never happen again, so don't worry about it! :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2014
    Indeed, I suspected that you've probably already got a solid workflow down, I was mainly just saying that personally, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night until I'd solved the puzzle of how this happened. But, sounds like something that should never happen again, so don't worry about it! :-)

=Matt=

Yeah, rest assured, this won't happen again on my watch. I was just curious as to whether I was the only person this had happened to. I must be the only dummy - no problem. :-)