Keyword List Order

dwphotodwphoto Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited October 14, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
I'm setting up an image library on Smugmug and so far everything is great except for one thing.
I want the filenames searchable, so they are being converted into keywords via a setting in accounts.

The problem is that my filenames include a lot of numbers so the keyword list is populated with heaps (soon to be thousands) of numbers that show before the words.

The numbers are largely irrelevant for the keyword list (although I still need them searchable)
Is there a way for the keyword list to either :
not display any numbers OR reverse the order so the words come first ?

Can this be changed/customised via code somehow. Really would love to solve this one if possible.

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    The filename keywording feature doesn't come with any settings and you can only enable or disable it. Note that changing the setting won't have any effect on existing photos as the feature is only used when you upload photos.

If the keywords generate from the filename keywording feature don't work for you, you could consider to disable filename keywording and to keyword your photos with the desired keywords prior to uploading. Our system automatically imports keywords from the IPTC metadata on upload.
    Many photo editing and managing programs come with ways of adding keywords. Some even offer the option to do that automatically or in bulk.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • dwphotodwphoto Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    I am already keywording all the photos prior to uploading, that's not the problem.
    It's not that the keywording feature doesn't work for me either, the problem is that smugmug doesn't search filenames.
    That's a huge issue for me, and something I'm amazed doesn't happen.
    To get around it I'm using your convert filename to keyword feature, which is fine except for the way the keywording list gets populated with a bunch of numbers from my filenames - check out my keyword list:
    http://studiolivingness.smugmug.com/keyword

Can I make a feature request to simply switch the order that the keywords display. This would atleast keep my relevant keywords at the top and the numbers at the bottom.
    Even better, can I feature request that smugmug be able to index filenames and make them searchable, without converting first to keywords.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 12, 2014
    dwphoto wrote: »
    Can I make a feature request to simply switch the order that the keywords display. This would atleast keep my relevant keywords at the top and the numbers at the bottom.
    Even better, can I feature request that smugmug be able to index filenames and make them searchable, without converting first to keywords.
    You can file feature requests in the SmugMug Feature Requests forum.

--- Denise
    edited October 12, 2014
    Thanks, just submitted a request now
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 13, 2014
    You can file feature requests in the SmugMug Feature Requests forum.

We have a few places to submit Feature Requests but the best place to submit feature requests going forward will be the official SmugMug Feature Requests page located here. Your requests will get the most visibility there.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited October 14, 2014
    Thanks, just posted there now as well
  • BDJBDJ Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins

My keyword search results appear in reverse alphabetical order by filename. I gather from previous correspondence that there is an insurmountable technical reason why this has to be so. Am I right?

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2019

Keyword galleries display photos with the newest added KW first. In other words, the galley is sorted by the date the KW was added to the photo. Probably why the gallery looks like it's sorted by latest file name. If you create a "smart" gallery using a KW you have the option of many display sorts.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • BDJBDJ Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins

@BDJ said:
    My keyword search results appear in reverse alphabetical order by filename. I gather from previous correspondence that there is an insurmountable technical reason why this has to be so. Am I right?
    Thanks, Allen. That makes sense. Smart gallery? I'll have a go.