Options

Question about Client Proofs Photos

2»

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 16, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I use DXO for batch processing and then upload those images to the proof gallery. These are pretty close to what I want, some will require tweaking. I am usually happy wih the converted jpgs and will just edit these files. I have to covert to jpg anyway, DXO lets me get pretty close to what I want. I do fun work with models and they tell me my proofs sometimes look better than edited pictures they get from other photographers. If I need more extensive editing I still have the raw files to work off of.
    I know how that goes. Sometimes I sit and stare at my shots from a studio shoot and there's just not a damn thing to do to them. Laughing.gif. Events aren't as well controlled however.
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I agree with this approach. I hate editing, and I am not going to get 200-500 pictures print ready unless the customer demands that, and pays for it.

My main income comes from destination family vacation photos. I have levels where if a family wants just one great group picture they can hire me and get just one picture. I spend my time editing one picture and I am done.

Some families want a group picture, then individual shots of kids, and candid shots. They can buy the appropriate package or level of service and I edit what they WANT.

I have also had families want me to cover a reunion and they want all the pics from the gallery. I tell them upfront to tell me their 30 or so favorite pictures, I will edit those extensively and then give them the other pics with just the basic edits.

Even when I cover an all day event I like to cull it down to 200-300 pics. I think most customers are overwhelmed with more than that and the pics just start looking the same. When I talk to the client I explain this to them. If they want to see more then I will of course do that. I want clients who want quality over quantity.
    I think we're pretty much in agreement. My events (mostly Bar Mitzvahs) are long days, and between 1,000 and 2,000 photos, resulting in usually 600 proofs, more or less. Yes, it's a lot of shots for the client to go through, but it was a long day. All the shots are unique. A lot of them will be candids of people that they may or may not care about. No way for me to know which shots will resonate with them. And honesty, culling takes the most time. If the shots are good, I say pass them on the to client and let them agonize over them. I've never had anyone complain yet about too many photos. The only issue is that sometimes they take a super long time to choose. That's getting to be a problem.

I just shot a party on Saturday and used your approach, BTW. I'm delivering 450 photos with first-pass touchups, and then putting a print-delay on the gallery so I can double-check any shots that they order from me. Good enough! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2014
    zoomer wrote: »
    I have never understood how a customer can "proof" photos that have not been processed....surely the finished edit will look different. Lots of photos that look like crap as proofs can look amazing after being processed....and photos they liked the look of not processed may not look as good to them after they are processed.

In my experience, when you go the extra mile to shoot "clean" in the first place, SOOC images can look gorgeous. It all comes down to how good you are at exposure and white balance, as well as composing your shots "cleanly" to begin with and in some cases even asking people to clean up some of the clutter that might show up in the background of your morning prep shots, or family formals, etc. Taking an extra 30 seconds to have aunts move their purses out of the corners of your images, or uncles move their beers, can help your un-edited images look entire presentable. Heck, often times I can deliver my images with nothing more than a single Lightroom preset applied, if I have exposure, WB, and clean scenes in my favor. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2014
    In my experience, when you go the extra mile to shoot "clean" in the first place, SOOC images can look gorgeous. It all comes down to how good you are at exposure and white balance, as well as composing your shots "cleanly" to begin with and in some cases even asking people to clean up some of the clutter that might show up in the background of your morning prep shots, or family formals, etc. Taking an extra 30 seconds to have aunts move their purses out of the corners of your images, or uncles move their beers, can help your un-edited images look entire presentable. Heck, often times I can deliver my images with nothing more than a single Lightroom preset applied, if I have exposure, WB, and clean scenes in my favor. :-)

=Matt=

Yep