Last Saturday's Wedding

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
edited October 21, 2014 in Weddings
This is my second paid wedding, a favor to a friend. I'm thinking about possibly shooting more weddings; and obviously have a lot to learn. I'm looking for any feedback you'd be willing to give. I felt like this was a challenge due to the set-up--The wedding was on a hillside with no trees, and the couple was facing directly into the sun during the ceremony. Any thoughts on what you'd have done differently? Any tricks for this type of sunny ceremony?

14october_untitled_010-3-L.jpg

14october_untitled_012-2-L.jpg

14october_untitled_020-3-L.jpg

14october_untitled_036-3-L.jpg

14october_untitled_050-3-L.jpg

14october_untitled_042-2-L.jpg

14october_untitled_054-3-L.jpg

14october_untitled_058-2-L.jpg

14october_untitled_090-2-L.jpg

14october_untitled_011-L.jpg

14october_untitled_161-L.jpg

14october_untitled_045-L.jpg

14october_untitled_047-L.jpg

14october_untitled_064-L.jpg

14october_untitled_220-L.jpg

14october_untitled_304-L.jpg

14october_untitled_313-L.jpg

14October_untitled_103-2-L.jpg

14October_untitled_276-2-L.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2014
    Good stuff, I would lighten up on some of the processing here and there, for example #10 looks kinda cool and gritty, but #11 looks a little over-processed. All in all I would say, practice a lot more before taking any paid weddings from strangers. I'm sure that friends doing friends favors are going to indeed be very happy with results like this, but there's definitely a difference when you step up to doing work with, well, strangers.

Work on improving focusing, lighting, and general posing / portraiture, basically just practice practice practice. I'm sure others will chime in with a few more specific helpful insights...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2014
    Good stuff, I would lighten up on some of the processing here and there, for example #10 looks kinda cool and gritty, but #11 looks a little over-processed. All in all I would say, practice a lot more before taking any paid weddings from strangers. I'm sure that friends doing friends favors are going to indeed be very happy with results like this, but there's definitely a difference when you step up to doing work with, well, strangers.

Work on improving focusing, lighting, and general posing / portraiture, basically just practice practice practice. I'm sure others will chime in with a few more specific helpful insights...

=Matt=

Thanks for taking time to comment, Matt. Any idea why my focus would be off if I used a fast shutter speed and focused on her eyes?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Thanks for taking time to comment, Matt. Any idea why my focus would be off if I used a fast shutter speed and focused on her eyes?

To be more specific, it looks as if #16 was slightly back-focused, however I might be wrong because it is only low-res here on this forum. Either way, the explanation is simply that not every camera nails everything perfectly, every single time. But like I said, I could be wrong. Most of the other shots look like they were indeed perfectly focused. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum