Options

Football under the lights

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited November 15, 2005 in Technique
I am shooting a highschool football game under the lights tonight for a local newspaper. I will be using a 70-200 f4.0L lens.

Any tips or tricks to shooting under the lights?

Thanks,

Doug

Comments

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    oh sure, get a Sports Shooter started [grin]
    if you can figure out what works icon10.gif, go manual settings and leave it there. In my "home" stadium for example it's iso1600,f2.8,1/125th all night long. In other stadiums it's a bit darker.

with an f4 it'll be tougher, so go ahead and use a flash (even with a 2.8 and good lights it helps to get some light into the helmets). dial it back a bit for closer shots of cheerleaders and fans in the stands. some people will say "no flashes" but I've never had a high school athlete or coach say a word.

if no flash, get as good as you can without sacraficing too much shutter speed, work in RAW and hope for the best in Post.

get behind the endzone when they get inside the 20. different (better?) perspective, different background.

manual white balance at least twice - once for twilight (if there's any left) and again when you're under just the lights.

I don't bother much with plays that end up going to the far sideline, but then again I like close-up shots of a few players. It's darker the further away the play is anyway.

keep watching after the play, reactions - both players' and fans'
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    Awesome info, thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    let us know (and see) how it goes.

for me, no sportsShooting tonight. i'm heading out for a few beers at the pub with my wife and friends. Sláinte!

• Options
    edited November 7, 2005
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results!

Thanks for the tips. Gallery here:
    http://dugmar.smugmug.com/gallery/947047

Doug
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2005
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2005
    today on SportsShooter.com
    Trade Secrets: Friday Night Flash Football
    Scott Varley's prep football photograph is the ninth in a series of SportsShooter.com features called "Trade Secrets."