Any Real Life Experience with Outex Waterproof Housings?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 14, 2014 in Accessories
I'm very interested in buying an waterproof housing for my D700 or D800. My main use for this housing would be shooting in the surf, not necessarily diving to great depths. The Outex looks very promising as most of what I've seen on the net about it is as a surf housing, used exactly how I would use it.

http://www.outex.com/products.aspx

Would love to hear any real life experience with these housing.

Thanks,

Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 28, 2014
    You may want to look at this:

Then have a look at Sarah Lee's Gear post.

Short version: I think you're good.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 29, 2014
    Thomas O'Brien used one for snorkeling and some wave shooting on our Galapagos trip for a week. It worked out real well for him and he got great shots. Although it's a bit of a pain to get the camera in and out of it. On the last day, I know he found a bit of moisture inside the bag and it wasn't certain whether it was condensation, or some seepage or what. His camera still worked, but died at his next stop in Peru, but it's not clear whether there was any linkage there or not. You might want to ping him for more info.

IMG_2230-L.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 29, 2014
    Condensation is a big deal in UW housings. I know from past housing experience, it doesn't take much to cause it either.

Attention to detail is important when assembling the housing and when cleaning everything afterward.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    You may want to look at this:

Then have a look at Sarah Lee's Gear post.

Short version: I think you're good.

Ian,

Her spot on the SmugMug G+ page was what turned me onto the Outex housing. Looks like this is what I've been looking for. Need to research a bit more.

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Thomas O'Brien used one for snorkeling and some wave shooting on our Galapagos trip for a week. It worked out real well for him and he got great shots. Although it's a bit of a pain to get the camera in and out of it. On the last day, I know he found a bit of moisture inside the bag and it wasn't certain whether it was condensation, or some seepage or what. His camera still worked, but died at his next stop in Peru, but it's not clear whether there was any linkage there or not. You might want to ping him for more info.

IMG_2230-L.jpg

Very cool to hear that you've seen it in action. All the research I've read is with any of these housing is that require very special care with setup, sealing and even cleaning afterwards. Not something you want to rush and then find out your gear is swimming with the fishes!!

My Smug Site
    edited November 13, 2014
    Thought I'd update this thread. After many months deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger on one of these setups. It just shipped and should arrive in a couple of days.

I was on the fence between this and a hard, surf housing and in the end, I just couldn't justify spending upwards of 3x more for the surf housing when I, more than likely, won't need the added protection. I'm really only looking for something to protect my gear while shooting "around" water. I do a lot of water sports like SUPing, kayaking and the like when I travel and have always wanted to be able to take my serious camera out with me. I may also do some "in the water" photography while snorkeling or whatever. I have this idea that I will eventually want to shoot in the surf and maybe some surfers but in all honesty, when I get out in the waves, I'd rather be riding them than shooting them. I figured I'd try this out and get my feet wet (pun intended) and then move to a hard housing if I start doing more shooting in the water.

I will post a review after I get some use from it. I'm going on a 6 week trip through the Philippines in 2 weeks so I plan to test it out quite a bit. Stay tuned for those interested.

My Smug Site
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2014
    Alex,

After reading this I have two thoughts. First would some descant inside the housing help with condensation?

Looks good overall, but how the heck do you change settings?

Keep us posted!!!

Sam
    edited November 13, 2014
    Sam,

If descant are those little flavor packs that come with stuff you order on Amazon, then yes, it works. I've read this on several blogs in regards to any housing.

As for settings, it helps to know your camera well. Also, it's much easier with larger pro bodies since you don't have to much through the menu. One of the likes of this housing is that the cover is soft so you can still manipulate all the controls.

My Smug Site
    edited November 14, 2014
    Got the goods today. Think this may call for some time in the bathtub! Pool is just too damn cold! Laughing.gif

10615544_10152817731075336_5740355576861687296_n.jpg?efg=eyJvbGF0Ijo4MH0%3D&oh=7beb5965482700f28dc997a66787c1d4&oe=551DEAC2&__gda__=1424523709_3be53c259bde6c3bca483891acecf9f0

My Smug Site