Kyrgyzstan

ericandeericande Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited November 16, 2015 in Journeys
2 years ago my wife and I applied for the Peace Corps. It took 18 months but in April we finally were on a plane and headed to our new home, Kyrgyzstan. The last two months have been a crazy whirlwind of travel, language learning, awkward moments and a lot of fun. Now I'm at my permanent site and plan on updating this thread over the next two years with photos. For more photos and stories, you can follow us on our blog at www.ericandtaylor.com. On each photo I'll also link it to the blog post that tells more about what was going on at the time.

Some of these photos will be snapshots but hopefully help tell part of the story. Others will hopefully be decent shots. I'm hoping to have more free time here than I did in the states to really work on my skills. With that said, here's a few shots of what's happened so far:

1) Leaving Portland, OR. Part of what I loved so much about living in the Northwest are the volcanoes. I love hiking, backpacking and climbing, these volcanoes shape the landscape of the PNW. I expect this to be my last glimpse of these for at least two years.

DSCF6530-XL.jpg

2) Washington D.C. It seemed fitting that our staging would be in our nation's capitol. It had been a long time since I'd been here. I forgot how beautiful and impactful the city can be. It's hard not to feel patriotic walking around.

DSCF6545-XL.jpg

3) Turkey. This is a country I badly want to visit however we only got to stop over in the airport this time. Good news is it's close and hopefully during our service we'll get to vacation here. Next stop, Krgyzstan.

DSCF6595-XL.jpg

4) We arrived to Kyrgyzstan in the early hours of the morning, before the sun had risen. After 3 hours in the bus we took a break from driving and had our first look at one of many mountain ranges in this small country.

DSCF6617-XL.jpg

5) Our first few days in country were spent at one of the nicer hotels on the shore of Issyk Kul lake. Wanting to ease us into the country gradually, Peace Corps chose to let us stay at this nice hotel on the shore of a huge lake with snow-capped mountains on all sides. Not a bad way to start.

DSCF6638-XL.jpg
www.ericpaulphotos.com - My photography site
www.ericandtaylor.com - Follow our Peace Corps adventure

Comments

• ericandeericande Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2014
    6) After Orientation we settled into temporary home in a village outside the capitol. Village life was pretty awesome. These cows walk themselves home every night at 6:30, splitting off one-by-one as they reach their home.
    DSCF7012-Edit-XL.jpg

7) Most nights we go to the schoolyard and play with the kids. This kid would hang on me everyime we went.
    DSCF7015-XL.jpg

8) Our host mother making manta, a meat-filled, steamed pastry
    DSCF7077-XL.jpg

9) Finally we got a chance to go on our first hike. This is the view from the first range of foothills South of our village.
    Panorama1-XL.jpg

10) These odd plants covered one hillside we hiked through. Cool to look at, but the the copious amounts of spider webs strung between them made walking through them somewhat miserable.
    DSCF7292-Edit-XL.jpg
  • squawk77squawk77 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2014
    ericande wrote: »
    6) After Orientation we settled into temporary home in a village outside the capitol. Village life was pretty awesome. These cows walk themselves home every night at 6:30, splitting off one-by-one as they reach their home.

Having grown up on a dairy farm, this is pretty cool nod.gif Cows even get miffed by our daylight saving time by the way.
    edited July 14, 2014
    11) Especially in the village, a lot of our time was spent playing with the kids and teaching them American games.
    DSCF7432-XL.jpg

12) Every PC site around the world has a 'Culture Day,' this is one event from ours
    DSCF7936-XL.jpg

13) Most dogs are treated poorly here. Our family got this little guy, hopefully he has a better life
    DSCF8029-XL.jpg

14) This photo is from our Swearing-In day, these are official (USSR-looking) Peace Corps Kyrgyz Republic IDs
    DSCF8187-XL.jpg

15) The US Ambassador to Kyrgyzstan gave a speech during our Swearing-In Ceremony
    DSCF8207-XL.jpg

ps, can a mod fix the 'Y' in the thread title?
    edited July 20, 2014
    16) A street in Balykchy, Kyrgyzstan, our new hometown. It rarely rains here but is surrounded by mountains and the sky often has these crazy looking clouds although it rarely rains.
    DSCF8255-Edit-XL.jpg

17) Some parts of Balykchy look like this, with rocky streets. Others have newer, paved streets. One thing that is all over Kyrgyzstan are the piles of concrete like in the lower left.
    DSCF8256-Edit-XL.jpg

18) My wife helps our family prepare strawberries to make jam with the family.
    DSCF8260-XL.jpg

19) Balykchy is an interesting city. Once a booming industrial town thanks to a steady influx of money and work from Moscow, it has had trouble finding itself now. Parts of the city are beautiful and promising, this photo shows the other side. DSCF8274-Edit-XL.jpg

20) Sheep are a large part of Kyrgyzstan life. It's the predominant protein source here and you see them everywhere. Sheep are almost always killed by families, there is not large, industrial farming like you will see in the US.
    DSCF8304-XL.jpg

21) There is a specific method to butcher a sheep or any other animal here. One of the last steps is burning the hair off the head and hooves. The head is the favorite part of the animal for many Kyrgyz men.
    DSCF8335-XL.jpg
  • DesertDukeDesertDuke Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2014
    I look forward to following your thread and seeing the new photos.
    edited September 2, 2014
    More photos, as always, click on any photo for more photos & stories from the area.

22) A great hangout spot I go to with my little brother
    DSCF8423-Edit-2-XL.jpg

23) I haven't had a chance to capture it well yet but the night skies here are incredible
    DSCF8511-XL.jpg

24) We had a chance to explore the Altyn Arashan Valley with it's beautiful views and hot springs
    DSCF8714_5_6-XL.jpg

25) With an organization I'm working with we took a trip to Karkara valley which forms the North-Eastern border of Kyrgyzstan. To the left of the valley is Kazakhstan, the right, Kyrgyzstan.
    DSCF8851-XL.jpg

26) The inside of a yurt with an elaborate & delicious spread of food.
    DSCF8864-XL.jpg

27) One of the many endless and beautiful valleys in Kyrgyzstan.
    DSCF8993_4_5-XL.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 2, 2014
    Awesome photos chronicling a great adventure. Some really amazing stuff going on here including some really nice landscapes, like 16, 17, 24, etc. I'm sure it's just the camera angle, but that little boy in #7 looks like he has no arms. I hope that's not the case! Anyway, fascinating stuff. Keep posting!
    edited September 4, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome photos chronicling a great adventure. Some really amazing stuff going on here including some really nice landscapes, like 16, 17, 24, etc. I'm sure it's just the camera angle, but that little boy in #7 looks like he has no arms. I hope that's not the case! Anyway, fascinating stuff. Keep posting!

Thanks! The little boy does indeed have arms, they allowed him to hang on me everywhere I went in that village :)
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited September 4, 2014
    Just found this thread. Wow! This is exactly what the Journeys sub-forum is meant to be about. Great pictures and stories behind them. clap.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2014
    Beautiful, interior is so awesome! thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited September 15, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Just found this thread. Wow! This is exactly what the Journeys sub-forum is meant to be about. Great pictures and stories behind them. clap.gif
    Beautiful, interior is so awesome! thanks for sharing

Thanks!

28) Summer camps are a big part of most Peace Corps posts, Kyrgyz Republic is no different. Many summer camps are held around the country, some are just for kids to have fun and learn about America. Others tack difficult or culturally sensitive topics such as Bride-Knapping, safe sex and healthy relationships.
    DSCF9220-XL.jpg

29) Dodgeball was the favorite activity at summer camp
    DSCF9682-XL.jpg

30) The weather in Kyrgyzstan is very dynamic. Most evenings in summer we could see lightning somewhere around the lake. Next summer I hope to capture some great shots from it.
    DSCF0026-Edit-XL.jpg

31) Not a well-known fact to visitors here but Kyrgyzstan does have a single train line. It only goes from Bishkek to Balykchy and it takes nearly 5 hours (double a taxi) to do so. But, it is safe, comfortable and very cheap. Perfect for a Peace Corps volunteer!
    DSCF0298-XL.jpg
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2014
    Great pics, love the kids running and the stormy sky. My parents joined the Peace Corp. and were stationed in Malawi (Africa) which was one of the main reason we returned there when my Dad was looking for a teaching job and I got to enjoy a wonderful childhood there. They ended up spending over 40 years in various countries in Africa. So you have begun a fantastic journey indeed :)
    ps the food inside the yurt looked wonderful now I'm hungry...
    edited September 24, 2014
    32) The beautiful Ala Archa valley. This is the only true National Park in Kyrgyzstan (others are listed as such but aren't really the same designation.) Located just 30 minutes from the capital, this is the most popular hiking/climbing destination in the country.

DSCF0936_7_8-XL.jpg

33) I loved how this tent looked with such a striking background. Keep walking this direction and you end up in a giant bowl with endless climbing and trekking opportunities.

DSCF0973-XL.jpg

34) As you approach the climbing hut in Ala Archa you reach a zone where the wildflowers cease and the glaciers begin. The difference is striking.

DSCF0910-XL.jpg
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2014
    Great stuff. Thank you so much for sharing your images, your adventure and most of all thank you for your service to our country and our world.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited October 25, 2014
    It's been a bit, more photos...

The following are from Jeti-Oguz, a beautiful area in South East Issyk Kul. The name means '7 bulls,' so-called because of 7 huge red rocks you see as you enter the valley.

35) A small waterfall we hiked to, it seems to be the most popular destination for locals in the area.

DSCF1363_4_5-XL.jpg

36) Our yurt camp at night.

DSCF1399-XL.jpg

37) I love this area. As you come around the bend the mountains at the end of the valley appear and remain in view the rest of the hike.

DSCF1480_1_2-XL.jpg

38) We tried for awhile to find a way to cross this river but we were stuck just admiring it from this side.

DSCF1536_7_8-XL.jpg

39) The yurt on the left is perched in the most perfect spot I've seen in Kyrgyzstan. I could live here.

DSCF1442-XL.jpg

40) The river outside our yurt camp.

DSCF1571-XL.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 25, 2014
    I love seeing the starry nights. Amazing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 21, 2014
    41) If you like abandoned building, you'll love Kyrgyzstan, they're everywhere. Some where in the process of being build during the fall of the USSR and construction never resumed such as this one.

DSCF1102-Edit-XL.jpg

42) A friend examines strange graffiti left behind

DSCF1114-Edit-XL.jpg

43) Some of the cool graffiti in Bishkek

DSCF1135-XL.jpg

44) One of the nice things left behind by the USSR are beautiful buildings, some of which such as this train station remain in great shape.

DSCF1139-XL.jpg
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2014
    love the yurts at night, not sure what it is about the train station but it does remind me of one in the Ukraine so I guess that is the USSR influence.
    Look forward to seeing more.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2014
    A beautiful place, i really want to visit!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    Thanks for this wonderful journal of what appears to be an experience of a lifetime. I love all the shots, especially the landscapes. But I must admit, #41 is my favorite - the stark room interior with the beautiful landscape showing through the window like a picture hanging on the wall. Perfect in BW.
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2014
    This is a great thread. Love the pictures.
    edited December 23, 2014
    Thanks everyone, many more to post!
    edited December 23, 2014
    45) Riding my bike around the desert near my home I found something unusual but no longer surprising after living here. This bust of Lenin may seem out of place but Kyrgystan is littered with statues and other monuments to the former Soviet leader.

DSCF1692-XL.jpg

46) This is one of many abandoned buildings around Balykchy. I wondered why these bay windows faced the mountains, I later learned this was an old Soviet bomb/gun testing range and officers could watch from here.

DSCF1713-Edit-XL.jpg

47) The front of the abandoned building. After capturing this I rode my bike near another building that turned out not to be empty. This resulted in being chased by an army vehicle down the mountain, thankfully it was an old, shitty lada and they didn't catch me.

DSCF1721-Edit-XL.jpg
    edited December 23, 2014
    48) Before winter came, we went for a 3 day hike in Bala Chychkan (Little Mouse) Valley. Besides being a beautiful valley, it never receives tourists so we were met by many curious people.

DSCF1802-XL.jpg

49) This valley had the friendliest people I've met in Kyrgystan. This woman insisted we come into her tent for warm milk and fresh bread. Her brother took us one by one on his horse across a rough river and we had a nice break from the rain in the tent.

DSCF1840-Edit-XL.jpg

50) Sitting by the fire under the stars during our second night in Bala Chychkan

DSCF1895-XL.jpg
    edited January 8, 2015
    51) Relics of the past. A bust of 'Father' Lenin and a mural depicting the boating industry the Soviets created here.

DSCF1963-XL.jpg

52) The boat-building yards. The boat-building industry has been dead for nearly three decades

DSCF2134-XL.jpg

53) A greenhouse grand opening. This is part of a large project the organization I'm working with is doing.

DSCF2226-XL.jpg

54) One of many large carpenter bees I see around here. This guy was about the size of my thumb.

DSCF2340-XL.jpg
    edited January 8, 2015
    Looks like I've missed a few posts :hide

I'm trying to imagine what it was like to run from someone driving a Lada. The stories of those things are hilarious-but, you get from A to B and you're not walking lol3.gif
    edited January 20, 2015
    ian408 wrote: »
    Looks like I've missed a few posts :hide

I'm trying to imagine what it was like to run from someone driving a Lada. The stories of those things are hilarious-but, you get from A to B and you're not walking lol3.gif

The story is pretty funny now but not so much at the time! It's definitely the scariest thing that has happened to me in some time. The military here has a bit of a distorted view of things and given that were likely drunk, the outcome of them catching me was pretty unpredictable...

And... new photos!

A few shots from Bishkek, the capitol of Kyrgyzstan. There are more shots from this trip at the bottom of this blog post.

55) One of my favorite spots in Bishkek is the new Putin Pub. The logo is so funny

DSCF1986-XL.jpg

56) On this night they had a live band, they call this Karaoke Night. Not all things have translated from English here quite right.

DSCF1982-XL.jpg

57) This is Dordoy bazaar, one of the largest markets in the world. The little shops are all made of shipping containers with a 2nd container above for storage.

DSCF1988-XL.jpg

58) This is part of the ceiling of the State History Museum. The entire thing is a giant mural and a wonder of Soviet propaganda. Here, you see a twisted version of Ronald Reagan riding a nuke while people protest.

DSCF2041-XL.jpg
    edited January 20, 2015
    The Putin Pub. That is pretty cool.

Good story too-at least now that you're past it :D
  • AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2015
    Awesome reportage, especially the photos that include people. Photography in great spirit of discovery!
    Photography is about what does not meet the eye
    Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography
    edited February 17, 2015
    A couple photos from Issyk-Ata, a Soviet-style resort in the mountains near the capital city of Bishkek. More photos on the blog as always: http://wp.me/p5bwRq-XI

59) The view up the valley from the end of the road in the resort. Past here there are great hiking opportunities and natural hot springs.

DSCF2551_2_3-XL.jpg

60) One of my favorite things to photograph in Kyrgyzstan are the thousands of statues and busts of Lenin, the most beloved non-Kyrgyz person here. This is my favorite statue yet.

DSCF2570-XL.jpg