Options

Sales Are Getting Lost

kcentrickcentric Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited December 6, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I'm thinking the format for the ordering process is really hurting the ability to make sales. I have lots of people come to me on Facebook or through my contact form on Smugmug and ask about purchasing prints. I gave them the link to the photo they have asked about, even give instructions to order. What happens next is nothing, or more often I get a second e-mail saying "so how much is a print?" They get into the order page and then can't figure out what to choose. It is a flat layout of all products and all sizes.

I have tried reducing the number of products and surfaces and sizes, but it still amounts to thousands of choices. If they are willing to put a little more work into it, they may scroll a ways down, but the smallest prints and cheapest products are at the top. So I sell a few 4x6 prints unmounted or maybe an 8x10 if they already came looking for an 8x10.

What I am suggesting is that when someone selects an option to buy a print or a range of prints that the next screen is just the product... they choose unframed, framed, thin wrap, metal, etc. (Maybe even have a couple of suggestions there like "buy an 8x12 thin wrap for only x dollars, or choose a product below") The product description and videos go there. Only after choosing that should they get the next screen that shows the sizes and prices. The process needs to be broken up into smaller and more understandable steps, as the range of options is just overwhelming my customers and killing my sales. I lose money on Smugmug every month. I'm not expecting to be a millionaire, but I'd like the site to at least pay for itself.

Comments

• Options
    kcentrickcentric Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2014
    As I never got a word of agreement, disagreement, "already in the works" or "we're not gonna do that" in response to this post I thought that I would never see anything like this happen. But you did it... you actually did it. I wholly approve of the new checkout cart process. Great addition. 3 thumbs up and a big thanks.
  • Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2014
    Glad to hear you like the new shopping cart. It is a nice improvement over the old shopping cart.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero