Favorite Album Vendors and Albums

2»

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    dahn8 wrote: »
    :wow Thanks for the heads up--I'm a bit of a newbie still! I'm a little embarrassed having asked that question but I suppose its better finding that out here than in the real world i suppose :D

Fortunately, the wedding wasn't a professional gig by any means (it was more of a favor to some friends who were really on a tight budget) but it's good to know for future reference if I were to keep doing more weddings!

Don't be embarrassed, there is no shame in asking questions, how else you're going to know? clap.gif

When you make pro albums, make sure company you are dealing with is not an open source to everyone, just a pro photographers. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    ShepsMom wrote: »
    Do they offer studio samples? I didn't see any info on that, and if they do what is the discount?

Thanks!

Yes they do, I believe it is 40% off for sample albums. The Aperture templates are so easy to use and quality is top notch
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    I'm a huge fan on Finao. They allow me to build really unique albums that I can't find elsewhere, and the quality is amazing, and the customer service is top notch.
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    What design software do you use for Finao?
    edited February 11, 2011
    Bsimon wrote: »
    What design software do you use for Finao?

I use Fundy Album Builder - works in Photoshop, really great stuff. You can actually use it for any album company.
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    I'm currently making a sample album using free Photojunction software and Black River Imaging's Tuscany album. Always had good experiences with BRI.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    BRI Tuscany and Echo albums for the win. Their press print albums are really well done too.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    I recently ordered my first album with Black River Imaging. Basically, I was searching for cost-effective, yet still classy product for children and family portrait sessions. For my test album, I ordered a gift for my friend's mother of their recent bride and groom shoot I did.

8x8 Press Book
    I believe it ended up being 32 sides
    Cafe au Lait fabric cover
    Hinged seam
    Linen matte pages
    6 Color Printing upgrade
    Added the silver presentation box upgrade
    2 Day shipping upgrade
    Total about $75

I was very pleased with the product and thought it was a nice value for what I was getting. I think the ideal uses for this particular book would be family/children portraits, parent albums and possibly albums for brides that can't afford a fancy leather flush mount album.

1228234584_Qq7VZ-O.jpg
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    BRI for the win here. Price/quality hard to beat, ususally free shipping and the turnaround is amazing!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    Another vote for Black River Imaging. Just did my first album using their new Cascade software. Very easy to use. Much better than ROES for me.

I like the fact that these are photographic prints mounted to the pages and not press printed pages. I think the quality is far superior.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Another vote for Black River Imaging. Just did my first album using their new Cascade software. Very easy to use. Much better than ROES for me.

I like the fact that these are photographic prints mounted to the pages and not press printed pages. I think the quality is far superior.

Which style book did you do? I think they also have press printed books, no?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Yes, they do. The book that I showed on pg. 2 is a press printed book. I was quite pleased with the value of it for the price.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    BRI also has a 30% gallery wrap sale till the end of June. Bastards! They know where to get you! Or me.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • relsah85relsah85 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    i'm working on my first ever album, not for a client though but for my own as a sample/demo album. my question is, do you guys know any album vendor that gives discounts for sample albums?

TIA

my fb page
    edited April 4, 2011
    relsah85 wrote: »
    i'm working on my first ever album, not for a client though but for my own as a sample/demo album. my question is, do you guys know any album vendor that gives discounts for sample albums?

TIA

I thought that just about every album company will give a discount for studio samples, no? I know for a fact that the good people over at Finao do - new one being deliver on Wednesday!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    mercphoto wrote: »

I did the Mosaic album with duo-leather cover using black on black textures. The quality is superb. Happy customer here.
  • relsah85relsah85 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I thought that just about every album company will give a discount for studio samples, no? I know for a fact that the good people over at Finao do - new one being deliver on Wednesday!

cool! i guess it's about time to give these vendors a call.

thanks!

my fb page
  • mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    So can I ask how much everyone marks up their albums? How much do you charge the client? I haven't done albums in the past but have been thinking of offering it as a part of my package when lo and behold a potential client want to book me for their wedding but insists on an album. How much should I mark something up. If the album costs $300-$400 to make ...what do I charge the client?
  • Tas67Tas67 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I really like WHCC. The quality is great, the shipping is fast and their customer service is fab!
    edited April 6, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »

I'll agree with that! Photo prints trump a press print.
    A former sports shooter
    edited April 6, 2011
    mpriest13 wrote: »
    So can I ask how much everyone marks up their albums? How much do you charge the client? I haven't done albums in the past but have been thinking of offering it as a part of my package when lo and behold a potential client want to book me for their wedding but insists on an album. How much should I mark something up. If the album costs $300-$400 to make ...what do I charge the client?

Not to get into all of my pricing formulas and all that complicated stuff that I've worked out, but I sell a 20 page 10x10 flush mount from Finao for $1270. That is based on a 33% cost of goods. One huge key to pricing albums is to remember to include the time that you spend designing the album and interfacing with the client in your cost! The album has a much greater cost than just the material cost from you album company.

Here's a link to a great (free) ebook on the subject of selling albums
    http://www.fundysos.com/ebook/
    edited April 6, 2011
    Great eBook!
    A former sports shooter
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2014
    So this thread started in 2009 and much of course has changed... The options are almost too many, fortunately with some honest reviews on the Internet, each company having their pluses and minuses... I see that Smug mug also has Zookie Pro and Zoho...
    My question is... where are we? I am not a Pro, I just want to have a photo Album [60 photos] and I am not concerned if it will sell or not. My main concern is the quality and duplication of the photos themselves.
    Just thought I would ask if anyone is still following this...
    Thank You.
    Stay well.
    Ara
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 8, 2014
    BeemerChef wrote: »
    So this thread started in 2009 and much of course has changed... The options are almost too many, fortunately with some honest reviews on the Internet, each company having their pluses and minuses... I see that Smug mug also has Zookie Pro and Zoho...
    My question is... where are we? I am not a Pro, I just want to have a photo Album [60 photos] and I am not concerned if it will sell or not. My main concern is the quality and duplication of the photos themselves.
    Thank You.
    Stay well.
    Ara
    Hi Ara,

I produce a lot of photo books for clients using Blurb who are partners with Adobe. The function for building the Blurb books are integrated in the Lightroom Book tab. They produce an electronic preview which my clients can review, and which I also use to show prospective clients my work. I get large, hard-bound books and the quality has been excellent.

Recently I needed a formal lay-flat wedding album for another client and for this I used Bay Photo, since they are local to me and of course they're partnered with Smugmug. I got the their Pacific album. Unfortunately I'm having issues with the album and their support and can't recommend them at this point.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2014
    BeemerChef wrote: »
    Thank You.
    Stay well.
    Ara

The market is extremely diverse these days, so you'll have to be a little more specific about what type of book / album you're looking for. A simple photo book can be had with great quality from Blurb, but a true wedding album with a leather cover and oldschool, mat-board-like pages is another thing entirely and many labs only do business with working pros.

Maybe elaborate a little bit more on what type of cover and pages you're looking for? Got any pics of other books from around the internet that might help?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum