Options

Well, this is strange

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
edited November 16, 2005 in SmugMug Support
So I happened upon Richard's galleries, via the smugmug help files, and was looking at his churches gallery....
i9a.jpg

and then decided to press the buy button, and I got this page...
i9b.jpg

OK, the top shot is his, and the bottom two are mine. So how did they get there?

I always always clear all my browser caches before I log off, even deleting stray files from a DOS routine. I hadn't been to my site at all today.

What up? :scratch
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    The cart is persistent and stored on smugmug's servers
    David_S85 wrote:
    So I happened upon Evil's galleries, via the smugmug help files, and was looking at his churches gallery....
    i9a.jpg

and then decided to press the buy button, and I got this page...
    i9b.jpg

OK, the top shot is his, and the bottom two are mine. So how did they get there?

I always always clear all my browser caches before I log off, even deleting stray files from a DOS routine. I hadn't been to my site at all today.

What up? headscratch.gif
    The contents of your cart are stored on smugmug's servers for some period of time (just like at Amazon, for instance). You probably put a couple of your own images in the cart awhile ago and then when you hit buy today, it took you to your cart which also had in it a couple of your images from a previous session.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    The contents of your cart are stored on smugmug's servers for some period of time (just like at Amazon, for instance). You probably put a couple of your own images in the cart awhile ago and then when you hit buy today, it took you to your cart which also had in it a couple of your images from a previous session.
    that kinda makes sense, but I wonder why the shopping cart cookie would be that persistent (not to mention wrong and confusing) to get these things mixed up like this in the first place.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    Update
    I was not able to duplicate this occurance after hitting the Empty Cart (twice). I did notice that there was a Done, but with Error on Page notice at the bottom. That could explain things. Using IE5.5. Whatareyagonna do.

Things look more normal now, but it was kinda like driving home and passing your own house before you actually get home.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    What is wrong?
    David_S85 wrote:
    that kinda makes sense, but I wonder why the shopping cart cookie would be that persistent (not to mention wrong and confusing) to get these things mixed up like this in the first place.
    What is wrong/confusing about the behavior you saw?

I presume that some time ago you put two of your own images in your shopping cart. Then, today when you added another image to your shopping cart, you saw all three there. That's how it's supposed to work. I keep things in my Amazon cart for a long time and I expect them to stay there until I either buy them or remove them from my cart.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    What is wrong/confusing about the behavior you saw?

I presume that some time ago you put two of your own images in your shopping cart. Then, today when you added another image to your shopping cart, you saw all three there. That's how it's supposed to work. I keep things in my Amazon cart for a long time and I expect them to stay there until I either buy them or remove them from my cart.
    That must be it. I was looking at pricing issues on my own site just last night, and also looking at what others have set their prices to on pro accounts. The thing is that I cut all cookies at the end of each of my browsing sessions, so I was surprised to see some cart items (especially mine) come back up, that's all.

Thanks for helping me understand this better.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    That must be it. I was looking at pricing issues on my own site just last night, and also looking at what others have set their prices to on pro accounts.
    But you didn't set yours right? I'm just wondering if your prices aren't marked up because you didn't mark them up or there's been a mistake (don't want you to lose potential sales).
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2005
    But you didn't set yours right? I'm just wondering if your prices aren't marked up because you didn't mark them up or there's been a mistake (don't want you to lose potential sales).
    No sales to lose yet.

I know they're not marked up. Thanks, though. I just set up the account, and there's nothing original size in there yet to sell, so the prices are all at default levels until I set it up right. Hey, I'm new to all this! It could take months! lol3.gif In the mean time, the 10 images or so up there are at bargain basement pricing. What a deal!

I'll just bet some major corporation will get in there soon and buy a million prints at a quarter each, and I'll miss my big chance at fortune. :cry
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 16, 2005
    Yes, it's true we went to a persistent cart stored on our servers like Amazon has. It was by popular demand. Now we have a gazillion of them. eek7.gif