Options

New Monitor with Thunderbolt connection

2»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I think Andy bought the curved version of that LG monitor, David, and he seems to like it a lot.

I did. And I do! clap.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 29, 2014
    Hi Andy,

Could you make a few comments, pro or con, about the limited color gamut, versus an EIZO that offers full Adobe RGB color gamut? I know that Sam and Rodney are among those favoring wide gamut monitors, and I think your LG is on sRGB, is it not? Does yours have a matte screen too?

And how are you calibrating it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Hi Andy,

Could you make a few comments, pro or con, about the limited color gamut, versus an EIZO that offers full Adobe RGB color gamut? I know that Sam and Rodney are among those favoring wide gamut monitors, and I think your LG is on sRGB, is it not? Does yours have a matte screen too?

And how are you calibrating it?
    After looking at zillions of prints gone wrong (from my former job at SmugMug) I just "know" visually - so I'm not a bit worrier about color management. I do use the Xrite calibration system. My screen is not 'matte' but not overly glossy, either. I really love it. Yes, it is sRGB and I'm fine with that. In fact, I just finished off a set of prints for the most demanding of clients, my wife!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2014
    Andy,

Not sure where the best place for this is ......so I'll just post here.

I just had a nice time looking at the images on your website and there is definitely some good stuff there. clap.gif

Shush keep this between you and me bit you might want to clean up the dust bunnies in AJW_1905.jpg :D

I really like your AJW_2129_30_31.jpg. Great surreal processing and original capture to allow the processing.

Have you printed this one?

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    Andy,

Not sure where the best place for this is ......so I'll just post here.

I just had a nice time looking at the images on your website and there is definitely some good stuff there. clap.gif

Shush keep this between you and me bit you might want to clean up the dust bunnies in AJW_1905.jpg :D

I really like your AJW_2129_30_31.jpg. Great surreal processing and original capture to allow the processing.

Have you printed this one?

Sam
    Ack! Bunnies? Can you link me to the photos - I'm leaving right now for Iceland and don't have my full catalog with me - so I don't know the photos by filename... copy the urls... Thanks!
  • Options
    rubencarmonarubencarmona Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    Jim,

I recently was helping a local pet photographer work through some issues with prints matching his monitor. He has a 27" iMac.

We actually set up his iMac side by side with my NEC PA271W. First thing that jumped out at me was the glare!! Yikes...........I must be too accustomed to my beautiful matt finish screen.

He uses a Colormunki calibration unit. We had difficulty lowering the luminance value to match my monitor at 80 cd/m2. and getting the colors to match my screen. Difficulty means no could do. :D

After our tests and trials he decided to purchase a NEC PA272W, and quite trying to fudge / swag settings / adjustments.

While the iMac monitor was nice to look at with normal (high) luminance values, I would not like to use it for color sensitive work or for printing.

Even if you get the small (?) 27" monitor it will be noticeably larger than your current 24" monitor.

Seriously, listen to D3Sshooter. Stop obsessing and fooling around. Go get ya an Eizo, or NEC.

You will not regret it!

Sam

Had the same problem with my Spyder4ELITE. The thing is, if your monitor can't reach the brightness target, you have to change something on your ambient light. But to have a good ambient light, the calibration shouldn't suggest more than 120 cd/m2

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
    edited December 23, 2014
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky