Options

Corsican Mantis Portrait

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited January 1, 2015 in Holy Macro
The last hotel of our stay in Corsica was more upmarket than our usual ones (four stars and two Ferraris in the car park). Even so, there was an external stair case to the level for our room. On the morning of our departure I found this mantis on a step. A transfer to a safer place on a a potted shrub rewarded me with some excellent images, this being the best.

EM-1 (manual mode), Kiron 105mm macro, TTL flash, hand-held.

Harold

1071180.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2014
    Lovely capture - obviously came to say goodbye :):
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2014
    Lovely capture - obviously came to say goodbye :):
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

I have seen a few mantis before, but this is the first time I had an all-around view.

I knew they were around because there were a couple on the glass wall of the restaurant patio area the previous evening.

Here is one with the wings showing, the dust, especially bottom left, being the glass of the outer edge wall. I had to prod it a bit to get the wings partly extended.

Harold

1071829.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2015
    Fantastic! Both nice but second one is superb. I would flip it 90 degrees to the right....JMO. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Fantastic! Both nice but second one is superb. I would flip it 90 degrees to the right....JMO. Cheers!

Thanks, but no flip. This one was hanging out in the restaurant. As the weight was below the support, this can give an unnatural look to the legs.

Harold