Options

What happened Smugmug, Dgrin down 11pm CDT Wednesday

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited November 17, 2005 in SmugMug Support
????
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    bham wrote:
    ????

I'm afraid this time I can't take credit for our outage. :)

Our datacenter provider had a scheduled maintenance window this evening, which we knew about, where we would have a "brief interruption" in service. That means a few seconds.

Needless to say, they goofed up and we were down for nearly half an hour. This should have been a one-time event, but I promise I'll be following up with them to find out what went wrong and how we can avoid it in the future.

Keep in mind that we do not use managed hosting - smugmug does all of our own networking, systems, and infrastructure. All we really buy from our datacenter is physical space, power, cooling, and cabling (copper & fiber). So normally, everything but those things are fully in our control and generally those four things are very reliable.

Tonight, they were moving our cabling (for the interested, we're now on their switch hardware that's capable of 10GigE rather than GigE) and somehow messed things up.

Sorry about that!

Don
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    I'm afraid this time I can't take credit for our outage. :)

Our datacenter provider had a scheduled maintenance window this evening, which we knew about, where we would have a "brief interruption" in service. That means a few seconds.

Needless to say, they goofed up and we were down for nearly half an hour. This should have been a one-time event, but I promise I'll be following up with them to find out what went wrong and how we can avoid it in the future.

Keep in mind that we do not use managed hosting - smugmug does all of our own networking, systems, and infrastructure. All we really buy from our datacenter is physical space, power, cooling, and cabling (copper & fiber). So normally, everything but those things are fully in our control and generally those four things are very reliable.

Tonight, they were moving our cabling (for the interested, we're now on their switch hardware that's capable of 10GigE rather than GigE) and somehow messed things up.

Sorry about that!

Don
    I understand, just glad its back up. I tried to pull up my site and nothing, tried dgrin nothing. I was starting to get worried. But hey those things happen from time to time no matter how much time, effort is put into preventing and minimizing them. Thanks for the prompt answer.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me