Options

Ladies in Red

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited January 13, 2015 in Holy Macro
Ladybugs are around so gave it one try. Diffusion remains a struggle....but determined to get the L-bracket or whatever to get light right. Probably return to this spot next week to try again.

1)
IMG_0137-X3.jpg

2)
IMG_0207-X3.jpg

3)
IMG_0224-X3.jpg

4)
IMG_0211-X3.jpg

5)
IMG_0240-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2015
    Wonderful shots - esp like #1 & #5.
    Agree looks like you need more diffusion or the flash a bit closer to the end of the lens (or both)
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2015
    Wonderful shots - esp like #1 & #5.
    Agree looks like you need more diffusion or the flash a bit closer to the end of the lens (or both)
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian! Your support means much!
    I have seen the pictures of your rig and why I thought I want flash to be towards the end of the rig, BUT I thought that would only help in illuminating the subject evenly and just light would reach it. Does that distance also help with diffusion? Today I noticed that when I tried to get super close, that is when I got the hottest spots. I forgot my plastic diffuser at home, and in the past I put paper on plastic diffuser and did better. So that is the source of my confusion.....results showed when flash was closest to subject I had bigger issues....so would love your input on how distance of flash to subject relates to diffusion. Thanks as always!
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Brian! Your support means much!
    I have seen the pictures of your rig and why I thought I want flash to be towards the end of the rig, BUT I thought that would only help in illuminating the subject evenly and just light would reach it. Does that distance also help with diffusion? Today I noticed that when I tried to get super close, that is when I got the hottest spots. I forgot my plastic diffuser at home, and in the past I put paper on plastic diffuser and did better. So that is the source of my confusion.....results showed when flash was closest to subject I had bigger issues....so would love your input on how distance of flash to subject relates to diffusion. Thanks as always!

Yes the relative light size does play a big part in appearance of the lighting on the subject. You will get very different results with the same diffuser say 2" from the subject and 12" from the subject.

Brian V.
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2015
    It's worth remembering that the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. That means that, all things being equal, it is better to have your light aimed at the subject from about 45 degrees to the axis of the lens. That means that any reflections of flat surfaces are directed off to the opposite side of the lens, at the same angle (45 degrees) However, all things are not equal and round, shiny objects can frustrate such efforts but it might help.

Harold
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2015
    Yes the relative light size does play a big part in appearance of the lighting on the subject. You will get very different results with the same diffuser say 2" from the subject and 12" from the subject.

Brian V.

Cool! Just need to find the bracket and and what not....you gave me the info before....it is odd but I couldn't find it on either e-store or local stores! Thanks Brian!!
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    It's worth remembering that the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. That means that, all things being equal, it is better to have your light aimed at the subject from about 45 degrees to the axis of the lens. That means that any reflections of flat surfaces are directed off to the opposite side of the lens, at the same angle (45 degrees) However, all things are not equal and round, shiny objects can frustrate such efforts but it might help.

Harold

Thanks Harold! Something worth remembering for sure. Hard to do though....the flash doesn't bent that way and if I succeeded in hooking up a rig like Brians with flash and lens lined up, then not sure how I can introduce the angle, but if possible, will give it a go.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2015
    then not sure how I can introduce the angle, but if possible, will give it a go.

That's what the L-bracket is for. You, in my opinion, need one to put the flash at least four to six inches clear of the side of the camera body. To then get the flash pointing downwards to the axis of the lens at the plane of the subject, you need a ball joint between the gun and the bracket shoe. That's what I use whenever I can get the flash off the hot shoe. (Se Ebay item 251501123337)

Harold
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2015
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2015
    SB - suspect the bracket was this one, http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Heavy-Duty-Shaped-Bracket/dp/B005FRI44M/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421043977&sr=1-2&keywords=polaroid+heavy+duty+L+bracket
    but you need to replace the ballhead with something more sensible.
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian! Drove an hour from home to a reputable store, they didn't have it. Will search online. It seems macro gear is not easy to acquire.mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2015
    Thanks Brian! Drove an hour from home to a reputable store, they didn't have it. Will search online. It seems macro gear is not easy to acquire.mwink.gif

To be pedantic, the L-bracket is not specifically a macro item. As I understand it, its original function was to prevent red eye. That may be relevant to any search terms.

Harold