Uploading over 1000 photos

holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited January 14, 2015 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have been trying to upload a gallery for several days now.

there are 1096 photos total.

the gallery stalls. then i try to upload the rest, i made it to 1090.

i have no idea which 6 didn't make it, so i put them all in there and it's going to duplicate hundreds and hundreds of them, even when i have skip duplicates selected.

why? why is it duplicating? it seems it only happens on galleries that have over 1000, but i do not understand why it happens.

i emailed smug help and the support was lackluster. here is what i got back:

----

Response #1

If you stopped the upload, closed the upload window, then restarted it, our duplicate detector won't work. If you are sucessfully uploading now, I would suggest you create a new gallery and upload to that, all photos will upload with no duplicates. You can then delete the current gallery.

----

Response #2.

If you are only missing 6 photos from that gallery, I would suggest you leave it as is.

I would suggest you break up your gallery into smaller sections if you are having network issues. You could break the wedding into before ceremony, ceremony, after .. and reduce the gallery sizes. This will make upoading much easier.

Also, do you use Lightroom? If so, we have a great plugin, which will detect duplicates and allow you to upload much easier, please see this help page:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1491124-how-do-i-upload-from-lightroom-?b_id=1644

If you do use LR, I would advise you to use this plugin, it will improve your workflow.

Really? a client paid me a lot of money and smugmug is telling not to worry about the 6 photos. yeah right, especially when i have no idea which 6 it is.

I don't feel like i should have to break up the galleries, am i not paying a premium price for smugmug?

I am installing the LR plugin, so we'll see how that goes...i have a feeling it won't be as seamless as it has been presented to me.

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2014
    Just a thought to get you squared away for this particular gallery.
    Load 500 photos into one gallery and the other 500 into a second gallery. Then use organizer to move the 500 from the second gallery into the first. ???
    I know that is not ideal but it might just get you up and running for this client.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2014
    Sounds like a nightmare! Always takes me ages to upload any photos, don't think I've got that number of photos on my entire site! I think I might be tempted to just ignore those remaining 6 photos if I was in your situation. Not ideal obviously... :(
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited January 6, 2015
    Hi Jason,
    We released an update to our uploader a few weeks ago that should have fixed all of the duplicate photo issues. You should be able to drag the entire set of 1000+ photos into the uploader and it will gradually go through and check each one for a duplicate. You should not have duplicate files getting through and be re-uploaded. I tested it just now on a gallery with 15000 photos and every single one was marked as a duplicate when I tried to re-upload. Could you take 1 or 2 files that are already uploaded and try to add just those; do they go through or are they detected as duplicates?

If they're not detected as duplicates please let me know. This would be a bug and one I'd love to investigate further. Questions I might ask if you're getting duplicates going through are: Are the filenames exactly the same as when you initially uploaded them? Have you changed uppercase to lowercase lettering / file extensions? Are the file sizes identical. We had fixed this for exactly this kind of reason.

I'm subscribed to this thread and will get an email letting me know if you've replied.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited January 6, 2015
    Oh shoot ... I just looked at your site and realized you are on our Legacy SmugMug site, which hasn't gotten any of the updates to the uploader including the recent updates for the duplicate file fixes. The best thing to do would be to migrate your site to the New SmugMug, which would take advantage of our updated designs, improved Organizer, advanced Customization features, and recent uploader changes. However, I realize that's a really big task to ask of you and you've got a deadline with your bridge/groom so I have an alternate solution....

There's an intermediate step in the migration to the New SmugMug that allows you to use some of the tools of the New SmugMug while still running your Legacy SmugMug site. I've started the migration for you. Your site is exactly as it was but you can now access the improved uploader. Here's how we can do this:
    1) Navigate to your new "Organizer", this is whre you can see your folder/gallery structure, upload images, move images, etc. http://www.holzphotoclient.com/organize/
    2) In the "Organizer" navigate to the gallery for the wedding that's missing 6 images.
    3) Click "Upload"
    4) Drag all 1,000+ files in and you'll see only the 6 missing ones get uploaded.
    5) Click done and close the window.
    6) Open a new window and navigate to your site and verify all the images are uploaded.

One caveat: While in the Organizer, don't create any new galleries or move images around or you may have some issues in our current live/legacy site. This 'work-around' works only because you've already created the gallery in Legacy SmugMug.

Let me know if you have any problems.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2015
    I'd also give the 'send-to-smugmug' free app a try. I've had good luck with that in the past whenever my LR5 Smugmug app gives me hiccups (usually with larger video files). Just drag all 1000+ pics into the uploader and it should go through all of them and gradually mark the ones that are already in your gallery then it should upload the rest.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist