meet the photographer series

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 19, 2007 in Technique
starting this fall, i'm beginning what i hope will be a nice addition to our site: i'll be interviewing various professional photographers, and showcasing their work. i'm starting with christopher morris and douglas kirkland. so, here's the opportunity for the dgrin community to help:

i have my own list of questions for them, but i'd also like to know, what questions would *you* like me to ask? :ear

i'll pick the best from all the replies. thanks in advance for your help :D

ps: the idea, is for me to interview them, write up the interview, and then they've agreed to pop in and discuss with us :deal

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 15, 2005
    You lucky dog. Like you need to squeeze any info outta these guys to get better. I should be interviewing you.....lol

OK how about this one? When they go out for a shoot, do they have a plan of what sort of of angles and perspectives they will use? Or, do they wait until they are onsite and use their experience and "vision" to determine the best perspectives?

You know me, I shoot what's there and usually come away wishing I had done something different. You know, better subject isolation, a more unique perspective, or even finding the most or a more interesting subject to shoot. I know this is less of an issue for model/people shooters, but they seem to do it so well there must be some method to their lack of madness ne_nau.gif

Or, do they just trash 95% of their shots like I do? lol3.gif Hey, the film is free right? rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    Damn Andy!

I am a fan of Christopher Morris' work. I guess being in the military and having personally experienced both war and peacekeeping operations, I get a personal connection to the images he takes.
    My question if it makes the cut would be to ask if his photos of the "innocent victims of war" are purely candids ie. right place, right time or does he actually adjust the composition (selection of background etc) of the shot for maximum effect.

This is a great idea Andy, and I can't wait to read the interview.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    Awesome! What a great addition to the forums. Thanks Andy.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 16, 2005
    Great idea.

For Christopher Morris, I would like to know what he thinks the impact
    large numbers of news crews/media covering events like Hurricane Katrina
    have on the story. Does he think major media coverage affects relief/rescue
    efforts?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    thumb.gif

Ring me when your ready mate.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    fantastic idea andy! thanks in advance for what i am sure will be VERY interesting reading!

listen, if you take gus with you to the interviews, make sure he's not lit with a red led ... or green ... :D

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
    Humungus wrote:
    thumb.gif

Ring me when your ready mate.

Morning Gus!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    ian408 wrote:
    Morning Gus!
    rolleyes1.gif mate mate mate....its 4.35 pm. Expecting 1st storm of the season tonight & kava is mixed. How good does it get.

Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif mate mate mate....its 4.35 pm. Expecting 1st storm of the season tonight & kava is mixed. How good does it get.

Gus

Ta. that was from me to you. but i am 15 minutes too early...
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    You posed an interesting question Ian. I personally believe that the media do influence things such as relief and rescue efforts. The majority do a good job by showing the human side or the enormity of the event, but there are those few who sometimes manipulate and bias opinion by showing only one side of a story. I know it's only my opinion but I have encountered some of this while being deployed myself. I think the media is vital in these areas not only to record the event but to educate and inform those who usually were fortunate enough not to be there. Unfortunately some people are there to make news not record it.

Anyway I'll get off of my soap box and wait with the normal folk to see these interviews.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2005
    Question(s)....
    Where do they feel the "line" is with regards to personal space? How far is far enough and what is too far? Yes there is the story to tell, but where do they feel privacy begins and ends.
  • OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    Mr. Christopher Morris Sir... How can one find internship with you or VII?
    I'm willing to risk my life...

Seriously :uhoh
    edited October 2, 2005
    I'd like to suggest a photographer. Helen Stummer.

This months LensWork features an article written by her about photographing
    one of New Jersey's poorest neighborhoods over a period of 15 years starting
    in the 80's.

I'd be curious to know more about how she accomplished this. Aside from
    being female, she ventures into an area many of us would never dream of
    visiting yet she transits frequently. Chronicling lives and the eventual
    destruction of a housing project.

Ian
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    ear.gif any more questions???
  • TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ear.gif any more questions???
    Well, I am probably too much into techniques rolleyes1.gif , but maybe Douglas Kirkland would share with us a few tips about lighting ?

Thierry
    edited October 24, 2005
    TOF guy wrote:
    Well, I am probably too much into techniques rolleyes1.gif , but maybe Douglas Kirkland would share with us a few tips about lighting ?

Thierry

cool. i think i'll ask douglas about this shot lol3.gif

(taken by a friend of ehughes)
    41451948-S.jpg
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    How do you pose a model and still keep them "natural" Mr. Kirkland?

(totally in love with all his portraitsiloveyou.gif)
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • LOVEphotosLOVEphotos Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I'd like to suggest a photographer. Helen Stummer.

This months LensWork features an article written by her about photographing
    one of New Jersey's poorest neighborhoods over a period of 15 years starting
    in the 80's.

I'd be curious to know more about how she accomplished this. Aside from
    being female, she ventures into an area many of us would never dream of
    visiting yet she transits frequently. Chronicling lives and the eventual
    destruction of a housing project.

Ian

Ian, I like your suggestion ... I would luv to meet a diversity of photographers :):

Andy, "Meet the photographer" is an AWESOME idea ... Thanks thumb.gif
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    My question: Do you automatically see a model's strengths and what is ineteresting about her and adjust your shooting to that, or do you begin to see it during the shot and then adjust, or do you simply make the model work into what you already have planned?

Any example explanations of the above three would be interesting to me.
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    How do you pose a model and still keep them "natural" Mr. Kirkland?

(totally in love with all his portraitsiloveyou.gif)
    Absolutely brilliant idea Andy.

I could repeat what rahmonster said, that's exactly how I feel. Agree with the question as well. Great work Andy
    I was lucky enough to attend a slideshow with Mr. Douglas himself and his wife at the portuguese Fnac a few weeks ago, unbelievable hours that will stay with me for many years for sure. Every single picture was stunning, the non portraits too. You have a fan here Mr. Kirkland. By the way, I'd also like to know how he bonds with people in order to get them to relax for the camera ?... he must find shy people even in showbiz.
    DouglasKirkland.jpg
    edited November 1, 2005
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I'm interviewing Douglas Kirkland on Monday. Keep the questions coming ear.gif
    edited November 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I'm interviewing Douglas Kirkland on Monday. Keep the questions coming ear.gif

any more, any more ear.gif
    edited November 4, 2005
    Perhaps Mr. Kirkland would like to speak a bit on how he got his start and
    what keeps him coming back each day.

Ian
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    For both gentlemen

How do they stay relaxed while shooting someone that they admire.

And of course, What picture did they take, that they like the best, and for
    what reason.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    Hi Andy!

I was just curious how the interview went? Inquiring minds want to know...mwink.gif

Thanks,

Lee

andy wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

edited November 9, 2005
    I did interview DK - for 45 minutes. It was great! I'm working on it now deal.gif
  • Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Hey Andy;
    I know that I'm a day late and a dollar short on this one, but I personally *love* the idea of "Meet the Photographer". When I go to a conference known as SIGGRAPH, http://www.siggraph.org/s2006/ they have a similar series knows as "Meet the Artist" and it's always a packed house. So they record the interview, place it on a DVD and up on a webpage for poeple to download. They also do a transcript as well.

So I was wondering if you're conducting these interviews in person. And If so, are you recording the interview?

If you are, I'm sure that there are some folks out here who could cut the tape and compress it to QT or WMV fairly quickly. And if you can't find anyone, I'm more than happy to do it. Wouldn it be cool to have a boxed set called "Meet the Photographers" to go along with the interviews that you do?

So what do you think?
    edited November 17, 2005
    Bandit959 wrote:
    Hey Andy;
    I know that I'm a day late and a dollar short on this one, but I personally *love* the idea of "Meet the Photographer". When I go to a conference known as SIGGRAPH, http://www.siggraph.org/s2006/ they have a similar series knows as "Meet the Artist" and it's always a packed house. So they record the interview, place it on a DVD and up on a webpage for poeple to download. They also do a transcript as well.

So I was wondering if you're conducting these interviews in person. And If so, are you recording the interview?

If you are, I'm sure that there are some folks out here who could cut the tape and compress it to QT or WMV fairly quickly. And if you can't find anyone, I'm more than happy to do it. Wouldn it be cool to have a boxed set called "Meet the Photographers" to go along with the interviews that you do?

So what do you think?

Hiya Bandit, thanks for posting!

I actually am recording these, they're done by telephone for the most part. The Kirkland interview should be available shortly, as dowload and podcast.

I appreciate your offer!

All the best,
    edited November 17, 2005
    Bandit959 wrote:
    Hey Andy;

And if you can't find anyone, I'm more than happy to do it.

Bandit, do you know anything about improving the quality of a cr@ppy recording? I come thru fine on the file I've got, but Douglas' voice is weak and fades in/out.
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Bandit, do you know anything about improving the quality of a cr@ppy recording? I come thru fine on the file I've got, but Douglas' voice is weak and fades in/out.
    I've got the NERO suite and have done a little bit of work with it before. I can't make any major promises but if I can't figure it I've also got some experts to ask... email me if you want to work out a way to transfer the file to me. And, I am guessing it's all one track (as opposed to the multiple tracks used in professional music recording) so it may take some leg work to boost the interviewee's voice and not the interviewer's.

-Rich
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.