Options

Galleries content block - all rows

pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
edited January 19, 2015 in Bug Reporting
I'm assuming this also applies to folders and pages content blocks...

We can click the wrench in the customizer to change the pagination settings for the content block. If we turn pagination off and set the number of rows to "All" the expected result would be that all galleries (or folders or pages) would be shown on one page. But the reality is that only a fixed number of galleries is shown. Additional galleries just don't appear at all and need to be accessed from the organizer.

I contacted support and they told me this is how it's supposed to work, but I don't see how there isn't either a bug in the functionality or a bug in the labeling of options. No pagination and all rows has obvious meaning to me, and it doesn't work that way.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2014
    Dave,
    A link to a specific example would be helpful so we could take a closer look.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2014
    Dave,
    A link to a specific example would be helpful so we could take a closer look.

Example here (when logged in only).

Dave
  • Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2014
    The content block will only show a set number of items (galleries or folders) in the content block. The number is 48 in the content block. All only means it will show all that the system allows to be shown. We recommend organizing your galleries into folders and subfolders to work with the current system limitation.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2014
    Teach wrote: »
    The content block will only show a set number of items (galleries or folders) in the content block. The number is 48 in the content block. All only means it will show all that the system allows to be shown. We recommend organizing your galleries into folders and subfolders to work with the current system limitation.

I recommend not calling it "All" if it really means 48. Or better yet, remove the arbitrary limitation.

Dave
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2014
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I recommend not calling it "All" if it really means 48. Or better yet, remove the arbitrary limitation.

Dave
    Dave,
    What Teach refers to is the 48 item limitation if you use the galleries / folders / photos "I choose" option in the basic tab > select from option. What you see when turning pagination off and the content block isn't displaying all galleries, is a bug. It has already been reported to our QA team.
    For the time being, to work around the bug, you can leave pagination turned on.

Note that I did test the issue on your site and forgot which exact "pagination style" you had set when I wanted to return the settings back to what you had originally set. If you didn't have the "click" option in place, you can change it back to "auto".
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 11, 2014
    Dave,
    What you see when turning pagination off and the content block isn't displaying all galleries, is a bug. It has already been reported to our QA team.
    For the time being, to work around the bug, you can leave pagination turned on.

If we got rid of the pagination ON/OFF switch, would you guys be upset? For a small number of galleries, pagination isn't required so the setting doesn't do anything. For medium and large sized # of galleries, pagination will allow the viewer to quickly see the first set of galleries, and then loads the additional galleries as they scroll. For viewers with slow internet connections, there may be some amount of waiting period but it shouldn't be very long. For viewers with fast internet connections the additional galleries should load very quickly after scrolling.

I can't imagine a use case where someone would have a large # of galleries and want pagination to be set to OFF. Having to wait for all the galleries to load would be a poor user experience for the viewer.

I'd love to get rid of the pagination ON/OFF switch and just leave the option for automatic scroll or click to load. However, if people have a good use case for having the switch remain and be set to OFF, I'm all ears!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2014
    No problem here, have never figured out what pagination ON/OFF did anyway. :D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited January 19, 2015
    We pushed an update today that removes the ability to turn Pagination to OFF. Setting pagination to OFF was limiting the display to show only 48 images with no ability to load the remaining images. All images will now be loaded.

Pagination will now always be ON and defaults to "Scroll". New images will be automatically loaded as the window is scrolled. The option for "Click" is still available and will display a "Load More..." button. The settings can be changed in the "Display" tab of the content block settings.
    pagination_off-X3.png
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations