hdmi

yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited January 20, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
hello:i want to connect my computer(an hp-2000) to my television.the cheapest way is to connect the two with an hdmi cable.when looking at product descriptions it is confusing because all the descriptions for the cables are different and I don't know which ones fit my needs.i liked the price on amazon for the following cable:"aurum ultra series-high speed hdmi cable(30 ft) with Ethernet-supports 3d and audio return channel(latest version)."both the computer and the tv have hdmi plug ins thanks

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2015
    Get the cheapest HDMI cable offered. If you are buying on Amazon, get Amazon Basics. Otherwise, check out Monoprice.com. Remember, its digital, so fancy cables do not make that big a difference. Unless you are getting a really long cable (10M) or have it in a very electronically noisy location, there really isnt any benefit to getting higher end, lower gauge number cables.
  • perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2015
    I'm sorry but I completely disagree. Yes the signal is digital and that does make a difference. But digital signals can still be affected by the same issues as analog cables. There is a reason that cables carrying digital signals still need repeaters, still need shielding, and still have maximum cable lengths.

All HDMI cables are NOT the same. Connecting a computer to a TV is probably one of the best cases for a simple, basic cable, but getting one that is properly shielded can still be important. Particularly if that run goes near any batteries, speakers, etc. I've also found that the ends on HDMI cables aren't always of the same quality. When I wired up my home office for video production, I went through several HDMI cable brands before I found something that worked well.

I have rarely been disappointed when buying quality gear and that includes cabling. I have often been disappointed when buying "the cheapest thing on offer" and simply refuse to do that or advise others to do so.
    cmason wrote: »
    Get the cheapest HDMI cable offered. If you are buying on Amazon, get Amazon Basics. Otherwise, check out Monoprice.com. Remember, its digital, so fancy cables do not make that big a difference. If you are getting a really long cable (10M) or have it in a very electronically noisy location, there really isnt any benefit to getting higher end, lower gauge number cables.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2015
    I'm sorry but I completely disagree.

Fair enough, I won't disgrudge anyone spending what they like on cables. Of course, I do not suggest getting a piece of lampcord and trying to run digital signal over it. Nearly every HDMI cable is shielded, per the spec. Of course if you need longer length, or as I said, you have a electrically noisy space (lots of wires and equipment), you likely need more specialized cables.

That being said, I recommended Amazon Basics, HDMI cables I have compared to Blue Jean, Monoprice and even more pricey low gauge cables from Audio Quest and others. You may be more sensitive than I, but i can not discern any difference between these.

My advise is to avoid paying for overpriced Monster Cable or other Big Box cables, and purchase Amazon Basics, Monoprice or Blue Jean cables.
  • perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2015
    I think this is quite fair and rational advice. I wanted to try the Blue Jean cable, but was in a hurry as I had a project due and couldn't wait for the order to arrive.
    cmason wrote: »

My advise is to avoid paying for overpriced Monster Cable or other Big Box cables, and purchase Amazon Basics, Monoprice or Blue Jean cables.