Options

Velvet and Ermine? With Stereo

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited January 29, 2015 in Holy Macro
Crust fungi can look rather uninteresting at a glance. These were/are growing on some slowly-decaying Pussy Willow logs in my garden. I have given the images more than the usual amount of processing, at one stage, to bring out the texture. The stereos emphasise that these structures are far from two-dimensional. Because they are something like 1-2 cm across, The shots from above are the ones which should have all the detail, the stereos with some compromises, where stacking would be needed to get sharpness front to back, and emphasising the vertical features. I broke the rules by moving the flash with the camera but seem to have lost nothing significant this time.

I believe this is Chondrostereum purpureum, Silver Leaf Fungus, a disease species of trees. It was previously included in the unrelated genus Stereum. The disease is progressive and fatal. This is the crust stage. It also forms brackets.

Identification should be easier when a new book comes out very soon.

EM-1, manual mode, Leitz Wetzlar Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm 1/160 f16, single diffused flash on L-bracket RC TTL.

NB The best 3D effect of the cross-eye stereo pairs is obtained if you lean right back in your chair, to increase your distance from the screen.

Harold

1086436.jpg

1086438.jpg

1086439.jpg

1086440.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2015
    Seems like rotten pizza sitting over decaying quiche. :puke1
    Yummy!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Seems like rotten pizza sitting over decaying quiche. :puke1
    Yummy!rolleyes1.gif

Brings out the gourmet in some people! :D Available only in very small portions.

Harold
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2015
    Lovely shots- Interesting stuff
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2015
    Lovely shots- Interesting stuff
    Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

All the Prunus fruit trees in my garden are now probably doomed, although they have had fungal canker for years. This disease is why such trees are summer-pruned, rather than in the dormant season.

Harold