Adding to Reputation Limits

AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
edited February 2, 2015 in Dgrin Forum Support
Can some one shed some light on the rules for adding to some-one's reputation.
When I add to "person X's" reputation, I get a "you need to spread the reputation around" if I want to add to it some days later (and have not given anyone else some positive reputation).
Yeah, OK ... I can see the logic in that.

What I have found over the last couple of weeks though:
I have given positive reputation to four people over the last few weeks. Every time I want to add to one of these people again, I get the "you need to spread the reputation around"

So can some one tell me if I am getting this message because it is too soon after giving previous reputation ... or is it because I have only given positive feedback to just these four people and there is some "magic number" of people I have to give it to before I can return to one of these four people.

What are the "rules" for giving positive reputation? What triggers that message? What would subsequently cause that message to no longer pop up? :dunno
My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
www.acecootephotography.com

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2015
    I'm sorry. I would like to provide you with an answer to your question,
    but I notice that you have only one green dot. I have two green dots,
    and I don't slum around with single dot people.

Seriously, this dot system has to be one of the most idiotic innovations
    made here. If I want to make a judgement about someone's reputation,
    I'll base it on what they say or show in their posts and not by their
    dot rating.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited January 29, 2015
    Edited to eliminate incorrect answer.

You cannot give rep points to anyone a second time until you have given them to others. You are also limited in the number of people you can give points to in a single day. The idea is to prevent any one person from unduly influencing any member's reputation.
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2015
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I would like to provide you with an answer to your question,
    but I notice that you have only one green dot. I have two green dots,
    and I don't slum around with single dot people.

Tony, I laughed out loud at this. Of course, then I realized I too was slumming and quickly regained my composure. :Dmwink.gif
    edited January 29, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Tony, I laughed out loud at this. Of course, then I realized I too was slumming and quickly regained my composure. :Dmwink.gif

Yeah, but I noticed you didn't give me another dot. You three-dot-people
    just don't want to allow us fewer-dots any upward mobility. Preserving
    the status quo, hunh?
    edited January 29, 2015
    Whoa! I just noticed I got a third dot!

Is there a gift bag that goes with the award?
    edited January 29, 2015
    i-85R8cC8-X3.gif Holy crap - the man wants a gift bag!!

Heh-heh-heh.....someone beat me to it. So now you are in the thin-air ranks of 3 dots! Congrats!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 29, 2015
    Seriously, this dot system has to be one of the most idiotic innovations
    made here.
    Whoa! I just noticed I got a third dot!

We'd be happy to take it away, seeing how it's so idiotic and all. Just let us know. mwink.gif
    edited January 29, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    We'd be happy to take it away, seeing how it's so idiotic and all. Just let us know. mwink.gif

Would I be less credible if you do? More credible if you don't?

Does this recently added green dot suddenly give any more
    gravitas to my comments? Improve my linked photographs?

Truly, have you ever rated the quality of a poster's comment
    based in any way on the green dots? Selected a post to read
    for the sole reason that the poster has multi-dots? What is
    the practical value?

I might in that forum where people offer things for sale,
    but not in the other forums.
    edited January 29, 2015
    If you're paying a whole lot of attention to the green dots, I think you need to get out and shoot some more. It's just not really worth worrying about. Dgrin is a small forum and if you're one of the regular contributors, you probably have formed your own opinion of most of the others. The reps might conceivably be useful for a n00b for the first week, but after that, I don't see them as relevant. They're probably not harmful either, so move along now.
    edited January 29, 2015
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2015
    OK ... this poor one dotter will slink back into the undergrowth.
    [I just like to leave positive feedback to those people who week after week give their time and expertise so freely. The dots were just a quick way for me to say thank-you even though I may not have asked the question in a thread.
    Perhaps a "Like" or "Agree" system that some forums use would be better.
    But you are all correct - it's not a big deal. Was just curious]
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    If you're paying a whole lot of attention to the green dots, I think you need to get out and shoot some more. It's just not really worth worrying about. Dgrin is a small forum and if you're one of the regular contributors, you probably have formed your own opinion of most of the others. The reps might conceivably be useful for a n00b for the first week, but after that, I don't see them as relevant. They're probably not harmful either, so move along now.

:andy
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    Ace: I gave you a second dot :)
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited January 30, 2015
    Just for the record, we have some grand plans on upgrades to dgrin that may include some kind of better reputation system ... or at least a better way for answers to float to the top. It's a while before that'll happen though :/
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 30, 2015
    leftquark wrote:
    we have some grand plans on upgrades to dgrin that may include some kind of better reputation system

But before that happens, as long as I can cash in all my coveted and hard earned green dots for those secret golden B&H credit certificates, I'll be happy.

:hide

rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    Ace: I gave you a second dot :)

clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

I feel like my life finally has some purpose!!!!!
    Thanks ... but I really was looking for a way to give more positive feedback to great contributors like yourself. Smugmug did themselves a huge favour when they hired you.
    You have done an awesome job and helped out so many people. I really like they straight forward answers and responses you give. You really listen to the Smugmuggers. thumb.gifthumb.gif

I'm just so grateful for you and Denise and Mike and Allen and all the others who give their time so freely to help others. bowdown.gif
    edited February 2, 2015
    Glad we could help. Typically we're pretty shy here about telling you our future plans but I'm not going to be shy about dgrin: We're starting to kick off some work to give dgrin a total upgrade. The whole reputation system type thing should see a significant upgrade, although I'm still trying to figure out how some of it should work, if at all. There's a lot more I want to do, like improving search, making it so that answers float to the top so people don't have to scroll through reply after reply, etc.

I agree, we should definitely reward those of the community that really help everyone out. For now, I'll try to do in little ways. For example, Denise came across a bug that only affected less than half a percent of our users, of which she was one of them. Normally that might not get much priority but as a way to thank her for all that she's done for us we made sure to take care of it right away!
    dGrin Afficionado
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 2, 2015
    ...For example, Denise came across a bug that only affected less than half a percent of our users, of which she was one of them. Normally that might not get much priority but as a way to thank her for all that she's done for us we made sure to take care of it right away!
    And I really do appreciate that!

--- Denise
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    I would think floating answers to the top in general would not be good. It's the evolution of a final solution
    that's very useful in understanding what is really going on in a lot of cases. The biggest problem with long
    threads is spotting the posts that are most useful as best solutions, perhaps highlighting those posts with
    a different background.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 2, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    I would think floating answers to the top in general would not be good. It's the evolution of a final solution
    that's very useful in understanding what is really going on in a lot of cases. The biggest problem with long
    threads is spotting the posts that are most useful as best solutions, perhaps highlighting those posts with
    a different background.

I completely agree. We'll figure out what works the best. In either case, the feature can be enabled or disabled per forum, so some forums that are more code specific can have the answer with the best code float to the top, while other forums, where discussion and the flow of conversation can be left as is. Additionally, each thread can be re-sorted even if the default isn't one or the other.
    dGrin Afficionado
    edited February 2, 2015
    Glad we could help. There's a lot more I want to do, like improving search, making it so that answers float to the top so people don't have to scroll through reply after reply, etc.

Presently, one can either click to open a thread, or click to open particular page.
    In long threads, with many pages, it would be useful to have an additional click
    choice to take the viewer to "last post". It would be most useful to those who
    follow a thread every time a post is added.

I agree, we should definitely reward those of the community that really help everyone out.

While I have joked about the reliability dots, I don't see them as either a
    problem or a negative in the Shots forums. When posting a comment
    on an image or providing an image, the "reliability" of the poster really
    isn't something to be considered. I'm not even sure where reliability
    fits in in any way. A person who frequently posts something like "Good
    shots. I like #3" can only be relied on to post frequently.

In Gear and Photo Craft, reliability may be a factor. I've purchased
    from a seller here, and I did have some concerns about that person's
    reliability. I don't think I'd purchase from anyone with no posting
    history at DGrin.
    edited February 2, 2015
    Presently, one can either click to open a thread, or click to open particular page.
    In long threads, with many pages, it would be useful to have an additional click
    choice to take the viewer to "last post". It would be most useful to those who
    follow a thread every time a post is added.
    We already have that feature. Just click on the green arrow and it takes you to the last post.

i-RqghCHw-L.jpg
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    You can also click the triangle to jump to the first unread post in the thread.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 2, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    We already have that feature. Just click on the green arrow and it takes you to the last post.

i-RqghCHw-L.jpg

Well, see. A "new" feature already. New to me, anyway. Ta.