Options

Some recent stuff

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited February 1, 2015 in People
~feeble wave~ Tough few months dealing with The Parentals and all sorts, but still here, one nostril barely above the deluge...........

C&C always welcome!

Young musical theater actress who also does a lot of kids' shows/teaches drama. She was a DREAM to shoot! We had a blast :)

1. i-Rrrpkp2-X2.jpg

We did some urban-ish stuff on the street, too - was really hard to light her deep-set eyes at 2pm (although overcast) even with fill flash, especially since it was COLD and the breeze kept making her eyes water!! Not sure I'm entirely happy with these - at least compared to the earlier ones in the set - but it may be useful for her eg website, or film submissions if she ever does anything in that medium. Was fun to play with making my little suburb look as much like NY as I could :) These were with off camera speedlight in a 26"Westcott Rapid Box - the cost of that thing nearly choked me, but it is a BRILLIANT modifier. Can highly recommend.

2. This one in particular shows the lighting problem - not quite sure how to fix that :-/
i-BGJmFsN-X2.jpg

3. i-7Hr7xm6-X2.jpg

Another young singer - she does some MT, but mostly opera. Only 19yo and her first session, but she was great to work with and is so very lovely. :lust

4. i-Qsj6vKC-X2.jpg

5. (this one's IMO a little more senior-portrait-ish than I think works as a headshot, but I do like it just as a nice image of her!!)
i-FK3VZc2-X2.jpg

6. I know her mom, and was DETERMINED to get some shots of them together (E. has just started her first year at college, so mama misses her a whole lot). They were so, so sweet together!!

(Not quite sure what happened when I made this collage, but it washed out for some reason - the originals have more contrast!)

i-Cx9shDj-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    First shot 1st and 3rd are really nice for my taste. The second lady you knocked it out of the park, wow!. The last one is ok just not my style.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    Hackbone wrote: »
    First shot 1st and 3rd are really nice for my taste. The second lady you knocked it out of the park, wow!. The last one is ok just not my style.
    divamum wrote: »
    ~feeble wave~ Tough few months dealing with The Parentals and all sorts, but still here, one nostril barely above the deluge...........

C&C always welcome!

Young musical theater actress who also does a lot of kids' shows/teaches drama. She was a DREAM to shoot! We had a blast :)

We did some urban-ish stuff on the street, too - was really hard to light her deep-set eyes at 2pm (although overcast) even with fill flash, especially since it was COLD and the breeze kept making her eyes water!! Not sure I'm entirely happy with these - at least compared to the earlier ones in the set - but it may be useful for her eg website, or film submissions if she ever does anything in that medium. Was fun to play with making my little suburb look as much like NY as I could :) These were with off camera speedlight in a 26"Westcott Rapid Box - the cost of that thing nearly choked me, but it is a BRILLIANT modifier. Can highly recommend.

2. This one in particular shows the lighting problem - not quite sure how to fix that :-/

3. i-7Hr7xm6-X2.jpg

Another young singer - she does some MT, but mostly opera. Only 19yo and her first session, but she was great to work with and is so very lovely. iloveyou.gif

5. (this one's IMO a little more senior-portrait-ish than I think works as a headshot, but I do like it just as a nice image of her!!)

6. I know her mom, and was DETERMINED to get some shots of them together (E. has just started her first year at college, so mama misses her a whole lot). They were so, so sweet together!!

(Not quite sure what happened when I made this collage, but it washed out for some reason - the originals have more contrast!)

g[/IMG]

^^ light looks good IMO
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    I like the set, just wondering what you see majorly wrong in 2. I do see her eyes are in a bit of a shadow but it isn't a deal breaker. What would help is for her to tilt her head up towards the light.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    Overall this is the best work i have seen you post. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    Thanks all!

Brett, it's the 2nd one that has the lighting problem I mentioned - I was pretty thrilled with the way everything clicked in #3! John, that's exactly it - the light isn't really in her eyes. If I'd lifted her chin, we'd have had an ugly jawline/angle. The flash was there and it was going off, but for whatever reason it didn't quite do what I needed it to in quite a few of this series; not quite sure what didn't quite mesh.

Thanks Sam! In fairness, it's pretty easy to make great photographs of slim, attractive, talented, motivated 19 year olds. It's no wonder that's what the fashion industry prefers, as it *is* easier to get good results when you have models who are gorgeous to start wtih!
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2015
    Man, you have this down pat... thumb.gif