Options

add support for sign in (for comments) > Google, others

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 6, 2015
    photoclick wrote: »
    However you are missing the point that it is not about difficulties of entering information and amount of such. It is about not willingness to share and/or associate a facebook, google, etc. account information. Hence the word "ANONYMOUS" comments.

This is the first time I've heard the request for truly anonymous comments. Up until now it seems as if most people have been wanting login-free but that it would still require a Name/Email address; people have often referred to "similar to how Pbase does it." What would be the rationale for having someone comment completely anonymously? What if they ask to purchase your print but don't leave a name or email address? How do you reply? How do we let them know you've replied? Don't you want to know something about the person leaving the comment, like their email address at a minimum?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2015
    You need to get your head out of your rear end there lefty, we HAD this before - completely anonymous comments. I dont really care if you left your real name or not, i want your comment/feedback. Good or bad.

You could leave a link, or not. Email or link to your own website - whatever. Obviosly if someone wanted to buy a print they have to provide more info - that staement from you is just assinine.

All we want was what we had BEFORE the new sm.

And this has being going on FAR too long. For crying out lid people, give us bakc what we had/want - after all, its OUR web sites.

You have no idea how much this makes me mad. No idea what so ever.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2015
    I do not agree with allowing truly anonymous comments. I do agree wholeheartedly with basic contact info like NAME and VALID EMAIL and the option to sign in with FB or G+. But I do not believe a responder MUST join basic Smugmug to leave a comment.

I suggest the option to turn the Smugmug login requirement ON/OFF be added to Owners account settings. Regards.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    This is the first time I've heard the request for truly anonymous comments. Up until now it seems as if most people have been wanting login-free but that it would still require a Name/Email address; people have often referred to "similar to how Pbase does it." What would be the rationale for having someone comment completely anonymously? What if they ask to purchase your print but don't leave a name or email address? How do you reply? How do we let them know you've replied? Don't you want to know something about the person leaving the comment, like their email address at a minimum?

I didn't mean to cause a confusion with " truly anonymous" vs. "login-free". Everyone, please, let's not dive into such a detailed topic.

Aaron, I am a supporter of freedom. I am sure you too and everyone on this forum. Providing login credentials associated with ANY non-SmugMug service in order to leave a comment is a huge (oops physiological) (I meant psychological) barrier to most of the users. For other, smaller part of the user-base, it is a technical barrier - they do not have/do not want to have social media accounts:) The rest are simply either want to plaster their FB (or other social media) association all over the WWW or do not understand what is going on when they do. So, the above are your groups of users. No single group is more important than the other for owners of the websites content. With all the differences in opinion between SmugMug clients, I believe, you would agree with me that ALL want the same - to have people leave comments. By limiting options to leave comments you are hurting both -your clients, owners of the websites, and viewers.

In the above post you are deliberating on what to do with the comments, how to use it, and what they are for. Honestly, it seems like user "DJKennedy" already provide the answer:) I can only, in a more polite manner, say: please, leave it up to the owner of the website's content to decided:
    1) how to accept comment (via login, anonymously, with or without contact-back info, etc.)
    2) what to do with the comment
    3) how to react to a comment.

I UNDERSTAND that providing such a freedom translates into adding MORE setting options (you saw and commented on them in the other post) to the Account Management area or to the Gallery Settings area. I also understand why you are reluctant (I would be too at this point) to present more options - the UI becomes too busy.

However, if you go with the lowest common denominator - simply leave it open (login-free). Perhaps provide one or two boxes for a contact info for viewers WHO WANT to leave a contact info (remember.. freedom:) ) This is the least costly and fastest way to solve and close this discussion. It will leave everyone happy and no-one complaining. Can you or anyone give me a reasonable objection to the above? Please?

On the other hand it would be nice to satisfy everyone. Considering that you already have all the code blocks programmed - I do have a solution, a real technical design solution on providing ALL the options above and adding absolutely zero extra settings to both Account Management and Gallery Settings area. Aaron, if you are really interested in actually solving this long-lasting problem AND if the legal has nothing to do with the move to login-based comments then give me a call or email. The solution is simple and elegant.

mike (michaelshapirophotography.com)
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2015
    Hard to make everyone happy, isn't it. Another suggestion...perhaps abbreviated 'Discussion' options similar to Wordpress blog Discussion settings? Just an idea... ne_nau.gif
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 9, 2015
    For those of you following this thread, I posted a response and some information on where we see commenting going in the future over on the "Add a Disqus Comment Content Block" thread. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=241327

Since the Feature Request here is focused on adding for support for additional Social Networks for comments, I'm going to take the discussion about anonymous/login-free commenting over to the other thread. Feel free to continue discussing support for additional social networks here.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations