Dead scanner. Looking for suggestions.

bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
edited February 17, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
I have had an Epson Perfection 1670 for a little over 10 years (bought refurb'd from Epson for $79 as a short term solution). I haven't been too happy with its capabilities for scanning slides, but it has done a decent job with some of the printed photos I have scanned. However, I think it has finally hit the recycle point. I opened it to scan some documents and I noticed a circular, rippled, tan spot near the hinge. A HOT circular, rippled, tan spot. Needless to say, the scanner is now unplugged. So, it looks as if I am in the market for a new scanner.

In addition to the occasional document, I also have been scanning family photos and slides. I have several hundred slides to scan (eventually) and I would like something that does a better job. I read the most recent thread on scanning slides, and while it is interesting, I am more lazy than innovative. So, I am planning to buy new scanner. Most of the other threads I found were a few years old and won't include the most recent models.

The main things I need a scanner to do are:
  • Scan photos
    These may be snap shots or older studio or wedding photos. I do understand that professional photos are typically copyright protected, but I don't think most of these photographers are still in business 60-90 years later. I did say older photos. I'm not yet sure if I will scan the prints or negatives of my own photos.
  • Scan slides
    Most of these were taken by my father from the 50s through the 90s. Some of them are mine, mainly from the 70s to 90s. Some of them are warped which may explain why the scans are kind of blurry.
  • Documents
    This is not a major thing so I don't need a document feeder. The scanner won't be for any business use.

I don't expect that I would be printing large photos, but I would like sufficient quality to print 8x10. I am willing to pay a few hundred dollars, but the Epson Perfection V800 is probably beyond what I am willing to go (although the 12 slide holder would be tempting if I had several thousand slides to scan). My two computers are running Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8.1 64 bit if that matters. I have only had Epson scanners (two total including the 1670) but I will go with what seems the best fit whoever makes it. I also considered getting a used Nikon CoolScan 5000 ED which I would then sell when I was finished scanning slides. That seems like a lot of work and I am not sure how compatible it is with the latest versions of Windows.

So, I am open to suggestions for scanners that will fit my needs. Thanks in advance.
~~Barbara

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2015
    Can't help re new kit suggestions, but scanners sometimes have half decent lenses inside ... which, with a bit of diy bodging, can be used for macro purposes.
    Dunno specs of old scanner, but might be worth a shufties (if interested) before binning it?

pp