Fisheye -- I have no idea what I am doing...

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited February 23, 2015 in Sports
So I decided I wanted a new toy for this Lax season and went out and got an inexpensive fisheye. It is an 8mm all manual job. What a completely different experience from normal sports shooting. I tried to do some reading and look at other work on line to get some ideas before heading out this past weekend, but not sure how much sank in.

I'd be interested in any suggestions or tips of things to try.

Had a lot of fun with it--here's a couple that I came away with:

IMG_2273a-L.jpg

IMG_2295a-L.jpg

IMG_2308a-L.jpg

IMG_2309a-L.jpg

IMG_2321a-L.jpg

IMG_2322a-L.jpg

IMG_6839a-L.jpg

IMG_6838a-L.jpg

IMG_2368a-L.jpg
Regards

Will

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2015
    I really enjoyed these - a fresh perspective. I wouldn't want to see all the sports images like this but they do give an excellent context to the match/ground/team.
    The only one that I (operative word = "me") don't think works is #7 (single player's face). I think it's not that flattering and doesn't have context other than it's a distorted face (guess I don't care so much about a dog's feelings, because I like the last one ... and it has more context)
    Nice work (as usual)
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 10, 2015
    These are all fun. I prefer the dog's shot the most because, for dogs, it's all about the nose.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2015
    Ace/David: Thanks for the comments!!
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    ... I wouldn't want to see all the sports images like this but they do give an excellent context to the match/ground/team. ...

Over the years I have shot so many of my daughter's games that sometimes it can feel a little bit like groundhog day. I totally agree that you don't want too many of these type of shots--but it is fun including something new that puts you so totally out of your comfort zone.
    Regards

Will
    Cool Shots...

If you still want to play with this, try different angles besides dead on, focus on top 1/3 of frame, and get a curved horizon, as in the dog shot. Focus on bottom 1/3 and get a bowl look. Also try portrait instead of landscape and the effects will be totally different.

Have Fun, Best Wishes
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2015
    FWIW my experience with wide angle shots is that they need to be used sparingly. They're great for atmospherics (http://www.johnhefti.com/p744352708/h1e829c53#h1e829c53) or on goal when you want to capture all the action. They're also great for capturing the venue, assuming it is interesting to capture (http://www.johnhefti.com/p505398757/h346a37b#h346a37b). What they don't do very well is capture the action of just a few players, like #1 in your set. I had to look to find the ball being passed. Meanwhile, there is all this space in frame in which nothing very interesting is happening.

I especially like the shots of the players with their sticks in the air, and the shot near goal works as well. Of course, had there been a deep blue sky with interesting clouds, all of these would be better. Not much you can do about that, though.

Just keep shooting with it; you'll figure out how to use it.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2015
    I don't think I would bother with the FE for action, but I really like the other stuff. The up-the-nose shot is kind of funny but as we can see it's not for everyone.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2015
    Good job!!!

I had the exact same thoughts when I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago. Not much more I can add to what has already been said. I'll PM you a couple of my shots when I get home to my computer.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX