Options

Researched more into upgrading

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited November 18, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I posted the other day that I was looking to upgrade to a G5, well after messing around and a coupld different sites I think I might have what I'm looking for. Let me know what you think.

1. Intel 955XCS Motherboard, with Intel 3.2ghz Pentium D 830 Dual-Core CPU

2. Kingston 4gb DDR2 667mhz ram

3. ATI Radeon X1800 XL 256mb GDDR3 PCI Express video card

4. Inland Siberia Socket 775 CPU cooler, 106CFM airflow

5. Thermaltake PurePower, 680-Watt ATX Dual 80mm Fan 20/24-Pin SATA Ready PCI-E Ready Power Supply

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited November 18, 2005
    Bump
    Bumpety bump...
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    You might want to check on that processor
    The Pentium D 830 is the 3.0 gb chip. What I believe you meant was the Pentim D 840 which is the 3.2 gb chip. I know this for sure because I just purchased my new desktop and I got the Pentium D 830.

Also on the graphics card, is that available yet? Just curious because I went with the NVidea 7800 GTX. Actually I went with a dual video card setup so I will be running two 7800 GTX's. I am 99% sure you cant get anywhere near the speed of a single 7800 GTX right now with any of th ATI's. Although I did not know they had an 1800 and havent seen anything about it in any mags or online lwhen I was researching my computer. I am assuming also that this card wil be similair in speed to the 7800. Good luck with the upgrade though. Are you building yourself or having someone else do it for you to your specs? I went with the dell xps 600 because almost all of the options you stated are available through them except for the graphics card. They only offer nvidea on that model. Also I was able to get their 24" widescreen monitor for about $400 cheaper packaged with the computer than it is purchasing it seperately. Unfortunately I am still waiting for delivery.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited November 18, 2005
    The Pentium D 830 is the 3.0 gb chip. What I believe you meant was the Pentim D 840 which is the 3.2 gb chip. I know this for sure because I just purchased my new desktop and I got the Pentium D 830.
    The D's are all 64-bit, are they not? Will Windows Vista be able to use them to full potential? Any drawback for use with older 8, 16, and 32-bit programs?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky