Google Photo search advise needed

Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
edited February 26, 2015 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi.

Since I changed quite a few of my links last night I figured that I wanted to test if google still could find my page.
So far so good - give it the right keywords and it seems to find me (yea, SEO improvement is planned).
But I discovered something else - a little strangely...
Entering these keywords: new zealand milford sound lille ulven bowen 20130127_104117 and restricting google to the photo search it comes back with four photos which I have all taken.
BUT the first one (the only color photo) here seems to link to someone else's webpage.
Looking a bit further - kicking on it - I found that the link that is given via the filename is correctly going to my website. But below that is a site link... which is going somewhere else. Actually someone who also has a smug mug page, but who does not have my photo in it (or any rights on it).
Since I could not find my photo on that photographers page I assume that something within google has gone wrong - or maybe he once collected it from my page and does not have access to it anymore since I changed the link.
So I wonder... how do I get google to correct that link? (I used their feedback scheme already - but if they will ever get back to me???)

Could anybody here give me a hint on that one, please?

Thanks in advance

Lille Ulven
https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 25, 2015
    He's got a number of keyword searches on his site. Maybe your images show up because they're tagged similarly?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 25, 2015
    Something very odd is happening. I just did a search on Google specifying "site:www.denisegoldberg.com" as the search criteria. (Note that I didn't use quotes when I did the search, just used them here to not have the forum software insert url tags.) I believe the only things that should be returned are results from my site.

The web results look good and the image results mostly look good. Almost all of the images shown are mine, but there are occasional images returned that I don't recall taking. When I click on them I am taken to the keyword results page on my site for the "odd" photo - but the photo that I didn't recognize on the image results page is not there.

I have no idea how to report this to anyone since there isn't an actual link to the photo that isn't mine. And I don't know where the source of this problem is - Google, or SmugMug.

So Lille Ulven, I guess I didn't answer your question, just added to it!

--- Denise
    edited February 25, 2015
    Hmm. Interesting Denise.
  • Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2015
    Well Denise, at least we are two with that type of problem now ;-)

I was just typing an answer to ian408... when yours came in. So let me see to finish that one... and than I'll add another one...
    But then it should not show up in google with a link to his site - I have seen now (for google.no) that even the link from the "filename" goes to his page.
    And even a search to the partial filename 20130127_104117_NZ_Southland_Milford will deliver a link with my photo to his page.
    I am not trying to say he stole it (and as said before it is not on his site - at least not where I could find it) - but I wonder if that is somehow a Google mistake.
    So the google button "Visit the page" goes to his page while "View the photo" goes to my page.
    The filename link goes to his page and well the page link does as well.
    The only picture he has with the keyword southland (which is what the links will return eventually) is a barn, but not my photo.

And to make things more crazy:
    if you type in 20130127_104117 waterfall - again you get another website (not mine) but my photo shown. Clicking on the photo gets you to my page, clicking on the link to his. Again another smug mug user.

Even if I change it to "20130127_104116 www.lilleulven.com/Travel/Newzealand" it delivers my photo and another photographers page. (In this case even the link behind the photo goes to the other photographers page.)

Strange to say the least.

Wonder wonder...

Guess I'll add watermarks to all my photos now.

But good to know I am not alone on this one.

Lille Ulven
    edited February 25, 2015
    Good news: I had contacted the heroes of smug mug about it - since the problem seamed to be growing. And I just got a reply that they have fixed it on the smug mug site a couple of weeks ago, but which might take google some time to fix in their links as well.

So no hidden collections - just an error in the transfer of the keywords between google and smug mug (or something like that).

Good night! (I am in Europe, so it really is time for my bed now!)

Lille Ulven
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 25, 2015
    Good news: I had contacted the heroes of smug mug about it - since the problem seamed to be growing. And I just got a reply that they have fixed it on the smug mug site a couple of weeks ago, but which might take google some time to fix in their links as well.
    Thanks for the update. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep an eye on my site.

--- Denise
    edited February 25, 2015
    Good to hear the answer! Thanks for the update and for contacting the Support Heroes.
    edited February 26, 2015
    You're both welcome :)
    In my opinion it would have been mean to not let you know about the outcome. After all someone else might struggle with the same problem and so that person will now know that it is in the process of being fixed and hopefully not call the copyright lawyers right away instead.

Lille Ulven