Options

Moth Flies Through Repro-Claron 55mm

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited February 28, 2015 in Holy Macro
I purchased this Schneider lens last December and only now has there been a subject of interest. After discovering my only source of these tiny flies I tried maximising the magnification on my Kiron 105mm with a +5 Marumi achromat on the front x1.5 TC behind it. The results were discouraging, possibly due to reflections and flare.

Today I tried with the Claron on 200mm of extension. The location of the flies, on the inside of a dark grey compost bin lid made the task difficult. I needed to position the flash off the camera, inside the upturned lid but without shading the flies from the sun, which I needed for framing and focus.

The field of view was 5mm wide and the working distance about 60mm. Mites in two of the images confirm the scale.

I varied the aperture and the shots were probably all at f11 but f16 is a possibility. I really wanted to try f22 but the flash was too weak. Noise was bad enough at ISO 800 without going to higher values. The camera was hand-held.

The first image is where I initially put an additional 10mm of extension on, the only shot at that setting. Interesting possibilities for another day!

Some purple hue arose from severe noise reduction. The third image is about the correct colour.

Harold

1100682.jpg?ts=1425057328

1100683.jpg?ts=1425057328

1100684.jpg?ts=1425057328

1100685.jpg?ts=1425057328

Comments

• Options
    Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2015
    That's been an interesting challenge for you Harold. #3 works best as you say, and the mite on it's back fascinates me more than the fly!

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Options
    edited February 28, 2015
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    That's been an interesting challenge for you Harold. #3 works best as you say, and the mite on it's back fascinates me more than the fly!

Thanks, Paul.

The mite on its back is an empty shell with its legs long gone. The one with dorsal side up seems to be alive and I must use that as a subject sometime.

The fly images are well ahead of what I achieved with my next-best setup. There is room for improvement, not least as there could still be some motion blur. The lid substrate, at times, wobbled and rotated slightly, sometimes both, making framing very difficult. I need to be able to rotate it to get the flies lit by sunlight but I need to dampen movement when shooting. Work in progress, slow due to dull weather on most days. Flash duration is probably an issue as I was starting to get under-exposure, so snoot is required.

The biggest problem with this subject, during my shot acquaintance, was getting a view from its level e.g. a decent side view. Perhaps I can encourage one or two onto a more portable and viewable substrate. Any advice for experience is welcome.

All of the above is pertinent to these flies. When I can find other subjects which stay still long enough, and are in the size range, I need to try the lens on them. Sounds like a job for Globbies, if only I can find some.

Harold
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2015
    Good ones Harold - a bit too much diffraction softening for my taste though.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2015
    Good ones Harold - a bit too much diffraction softening for my taste though.
    Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

I have reworked these images a number of times and I believe more can be done with them. At least the hairs can be improved. I gave the eyes some priority.

The level of noise was exceptional and I might need to hold back a bit more on that.

Harold
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2015
    A rework of two of the images by a slightly different route and with no diffraction softening (micro contrast).

Both could use more DOF.

Harold

1101065.jpg?ts=1425111674

1101064.jpg?ts=1425111674
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited February 28, 2015
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2015
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    Focus stacking next step Harold ? :D

Hilarious! rolleyes1.gif

Lazer positioning more likely. I have some pocket lazers. Framing the insects is extremely difficult.

I have wanted to find and photograph these flies since I first saw Brian's images.

The wider issue is what I can do with my diverse legacy lenses rather than investing in a Venus macro or a Canon body and MEP. I think is often the case that more is down to the photographer's experience, technique and tenacity than to what looks like a dream lens. Incidentally, the setup included a helicoid, and could include a second, for changing extension/magnification.

Harold