Roadracing

The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited March 7, 2015 in Sports
Did some shooting this past weekend and turned out with a few good ones.
These are my two favorites from the day (below):
____Motoception Photography____
www.motoception.com

Comments

• The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2015
    1: (I think this was his first race weekend)

i-P3gdSHh-L.jpg

2:

i-ZnmjB2j-L.jpg
    www.motoception.com
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2015
    Nice panning - what kind of speed would he/she be doing at that stage?
    Bold colours really pop.
    (in #1 I would maybe think about cloning out the orange cone behind the wall?) Hope he had a great day.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
    edited February 28, 2015
    Thanks!
    Ya removing the cone would probably be better.
    I didn't do any major edits since this was an event (I took 3,600 shots that day, and went through each one by one, took forever) but I might copy this one into my "to do later" folder and see if I can work on it.
    I kind of wished I had isolated him focus-wise more with a tighter focal depth but it was kind of a spur-of-the-moment shot and plus I'm still pretty new so I can't do those really quick settings changes all that fast. So it ended up being shot as-is at f6 but not too bad I think.

For #2, I can't comment on his speed, I've done a lot of track days at this same track but I tape up my speedometer...
    Probably 70-75mph?

But I like it because it's a sweeper and normally he is looking more forward... so he's actually cheesing for the camera in this shot ;)
    www.motoception.com
    edited February 28, 2015
    The kid did really well, when you're a provisional novice your goal is just to go through the motions and have fun and he nailed it.

About this shot in particular, his bike wouldn't start initially and it took some time. I was nervous he was going to miss his race, I'm sure he maybe was too. I suppose it maybe added to his nerves and his expression here. If so, he was able to shake it off because he looked just fine out on the track.
    www.motoception.com
    edited March 1, 2015
    Thanks for that. Using 1/160th seems about right for that speed. Every now and again I try a pan with slower shutter speed than "normal" ... just to practice improving my skills. Yeah a lot more deletes but when it works it is just "magic" with creamy backgrounds. But I can't do that for a day - the keeper rate is too low!
    Yes, nearly 4000 shots takes a long time to go through just to decide the keepers! I usually end up with around 30 - 35% keepers. Sometimes its a balance with wanting to get as many different competitors as you can and still keep the quality up.
    Thanks for the background/additional information - always interesting. "Cheesing" - a great term! Sometimes I have dirtkart drivers giving me the thumbs up and "cheesing" and I'm shouting inside "just concentrate on your driving ... PLEASE!"
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2015
    Awesome, great pan. That really makes any motosport photo.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2015
    I like the orange cone, its what you expect to see at a track. Its not a distraction. :) And yes, very nice pan shot!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 3, 2015
    Panning looks great! Love to see a few more.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2015
    Sharp rider - blurred spokes & landscape = perfect shutter speed

Nice work

BTW what track?
    Rags
    edited March 6, 2015
    torags wrote: »
    BTW what track?
    This one is Talladega GP Raceway, just a bit east of the "other" Talladega track.
    www.motoception.com
    edited March 6, 2015
    Thanks for the kind words.

Some guys had a good day:

i-J6bsvcG-L.jpg

Some did not have a good day:

i-KQLbWcg-L.jpg
    www.motoception.com
    edited March 7, 2015
    Awesome work on that last photo! I'm guessing you didn't have much time to catch it!
    Thank goodness for leather!