Second Lacrosse game of the season

sandjunkiesandjunkie Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited March 8, 2015 in Sports
I am getting a bit more comfortable with the D750 but still have much more learning and practice to go. C&C Welcome.

Mustangs win 10-1

ABC_0507-XL.jpg

ABC_0512-XL.jpg

ABC_0517-XL.jpg

ABC_0546-XL.jpg

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2015
    Some nice captures and good exposures, but it looks like you were shooting from a standing position. Gotta get down and kneel or sit to make the players larger than life. Also, open up that lens all the way and blur the background. As-is, it's distracting.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • sandjunkiesandjunkie Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2015
    Some nice captures and good exposures, but it looks like you were shooting from a standing position. Gotta get down and kneel or sit to make the players larger than life. Also, open up that lens all the way and blur the background. As-is, it's distracting.

Got it. I'll try that next game. Thanks
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2015
    As a hobbyist myself, I realize 2.8 lenses may easily exceed your budget--so bluring out the background isn't always that easy. A couple of things I've found to help (not completely overcome) are 1) to crop closely and 2) to try and shoot wherever possible near subjects at the long end of your zoom. By the latter, I mean when you are zoomed out at 400 mm (I think in an ealier post you said you were using a 100-400), and the subject is closer to you, the DOF is much shorter than when you have all the settings the same, except your focal point is on the other side of the field.

# 1 is relatively easier to do--for example, I think your last photo might present better with a crop tight around the two boys making contact. #2 is much harder because no-one running around the field is worried about where you the photographer want them to be. Also, the more you zoom, the harder it can be to keep up with the action through the eye-piece.

It took me a long time to accept that I couldn't get shots of all the action in the game regardless of where it happened on the field. Now I try and anticipate those instances where the action is going to occur in the areas my gear can more appropriately reach...

I really like what you're capturing and look forward to seeing more.
    Regards

Will
    wmstumme wrote: »
    As a hobbyist myself, I realize 2.8 lenses may easily exceed your budget--so bluring out the background isn't always that easy. A couple of things I've found to help (not completely overcome) are 1) to crop closely and 2) to try and shoot wherever possible near subjects at the long end of your zoom. By the latter, I mean when you are zoomed out at 400 mm (I think in an ealier post you said you were using a 100-400), and the subject is closer to you, the DOF is much shorter than when you have all the settings the same, except your focal point is on the other side of the field.

# 1 is relatively easier to do--for example, I think your last photo might present better with a crop tight around the two boys making contact. #2 is much harder because no-one running around the field is worried about where you the photographer want them to be. Also, the more you zoom, the harder it can be to keep up with the action through the eye-piece.

It took me a long time to accept that I couldn't get shots of all the action in the game regardless of where it happened on the field. Now I try and anticipate those instances where the action is going to occur in the areas my gear can more appropriately reach...

I really like what you're capturing and look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for the advice and help. I am actually using a sigma 70-200 2.8. So i can open it up wider. I also have a 1.4 teleconverter that I haven't used with the D750 yet. I may try that next game as well. It is hard to get that reach with only a 200mm zoom on a full frame camera I have noticed. I am already cropping a lot. Anticipating the action is definitely something I can learn to do more of. Thanks so muchthumb.gif
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    My experience trying to shoot sports with a 1.4x teleconverter on my Canon 70-200/2.8II and 5D3 was lousy. The AF went out the window, and usually the 5D3's AF is excellent. Maybe things will be different with your Nikon, but if not, don't be surprised. I ended up selling my 300/2.8 (and tc) and getting a 7D2. I'm loving having the reach and zoom with my 70-200 on the 7D2. If a D7100 would be in the budget, that would be an alternative to buying a longer lens. Prices on the D7100 should be attractive now that the D7200 is out, and I don't see much added benefit in the D7200.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.