Options

Anyone using On1 Perfect Photo Suite 9?

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited March 9, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
I seen Matt Kaslowski(sp?), formally from Kelby One, now with On1 software on Creative Live recently, and he did a class on speeding up your work flow. He showed his work flow, which consisted of using On1 Perfect Photo Suite 9 and Lightroom. He starts out in On1 Perfect Browse (sorta like Photo Mechanic) and tags his likes and enters his key words, then filters his picks, and then sends those to Lightroom to be cataloged and minor adjustments. Then he sends them back to Perfect Photo Suite 9 to finish them off. I watched a few other videos on On1's web site and YouTube and this software seems to be pretty good, and I've been thinking about purchasing it. From what I seen, this does just about everything Photoshop can do, and without the need for plugins like Portraiture for skin retouching.

My question is, is there anyone here using, or have used this software, and what do you think of it? Do you think it is worth the investment? Anyone care to share some samples of some photos that were edited with only Lightroom and Perfect Photo Suite?

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2015
    I've owned OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 8 for some time, but I rarely
    use it. To be honest, I haven't given it enough of a fair trial to know
    what the potential is. I do use the Perfect Resize module when I want
    to resize an old .jpg processed as a small file.

OnOne frequently emails new presets, but I'm not one for using presets.

I also have the full NIK collection, and use NIK where I could be trying
    OnOne. I can't really see an advantage with OnOne over NIK. Even
    with NIK, it's usually when I'm doing a black and white version that I
    use anything outside of Photoshop CC 2014 or Lightroom.

In my opinion (and it's only an opinion) programs like OnOne or NIK
    are only useful if you use them enough to become proficient with
    them, and if you're already proficient in PS or LR it's hard to devote
    extra time to learn the new steps.

Full disclosure: I purchased NIK, but obtained OnOne's Perfect Photo
    Suite 8 as first prize in a photo contest. Maybe not having invested
    money in it is the reaon for less interest in learning about it.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    I have an older version of Perfect Suite. And while I have used every function in the software, I primarily use it for 3 things.

1. Photo Resizing. It's REALLY REALLY good at this.

2. Masking. I don't do a ton of masking any more, but it's REALLY REALLY good at this.

3. Stacking filters. This is my primary use for the software these days. I can get looks dialed in very quickly and even use the presets to get to a specific kind of look quickly.

It's rare that I submit any of my photos for publication without them taking a stop through the suite at some point.