Options

Tree Bark Snails

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited March 11, 2015 in Holy Macro
Each year I have seen some tiny snails with conical shells in the deep crevices of the bark of a dead Silver Birch tree in my garden. I have never photographed them and have been unsure of the season in which to find them. NB "tree bark snails" is just my reference term and has not other status,

Two days ago, I happened to look up at the lower branches of a common willow tree. Just where the main branches forked, about 8 feet up, I saw a snail with the apex of its shell pointing downwards.

As I went to fetch a ladder, I was sure the rung would be in just the right place to obstruct the lens and/or the flash gun. I couldn't have been more right and a lot of leaning around the ladder was required. A stump of a branch immediately above the snail added to the frustration. Getting a picture was not that difficult but getting the axis of the shell parallel to the sensor was, even at f16.

The first image is of the species seen annually, the second is of the new one. They are about 10mm and 12mm long, respectively, difficult to measure in a crevice.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm at f16, TTL single flash.

Harold

1105925.jpg?ts=1425974181

1105926.jpg?ts=1425974181

Comments