Options

A magical night in Tromso, Norway

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited March 15, 2015 in Landscapes
Following kdog's advice, I have posted several of my aurora images in a single post.

Thank you to everyone who has previously commented, I appreciate your comments.

These aurora images are from a recent trip to Tromso, Norway.

i-x9SXcSj.jpg

i-b5J54jB-XL.jpg

i-4hqwQWd-L.jpg

i-44MJXs2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2015
    Seeing images like this just reinforces what a great place the Earth is. Thank you for sharing.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2015
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,035 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2015
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2015
    Fantastic! Never managed to get anything like that before! What do the RAW images look like out of interest? As in how much colour is in them and how much is post?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 5, 2015
    Amazingly beautiful shots. Some of the best aurora shots I've seen in a while. bowdown.gif

Thanks for fixing up your post too. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Amazingly beautiful shots. Some of the best aurora shots I've seen in a while. bowdown.gif

Thanks for fixing up your post too. thumb.gif

Thanks kdog.

I really appreciate your comments!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2015
    I didn't see the last one before....all superb, that one is my favorite!
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2015
    A magical night in Tromso, Norway
    Tom Foster wrote: »
    Fantastic! Never managed to get anything like that before! What do the RAW images look like out of interest? As in how much colour is in them and how much is post?

Tom....

The colors are original as shot and have not been adjusted (saturation nor vibrancy).

The raw images are what one would expect shooting at night with low ISO, a tad bit dark. I tend to shoot lower ISO, longer exposure, just shy of getting star trails. My WB was set to 4700. The camera was my trusty Nikon D300, with a Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 lens. The images were shot at 11mm to take in as much of the sky as possible. Had it not been so cold and not wanting to mess with switching lenses and the associated risk of damage to the camera (think numb fingers, snow, frosted breadth, etc.) I would have loved to have taken a few shoots with my fish-eye lens.

Post production included some minor cleaning of noise, and then adjusting levels and curves. In the horizontal images (#1 and #3), I used a neutral density filter (PS software add-in) to brighten the foreground some, as the image was a bit too dark for what I felt was a good composition.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2015
    El Gato wrote: »
    Tom....

The colors are original as shot and have not been adjusted (saturation nor vibrancy).

The raw images are what one would expect shooting at night with low ISO, a tad bit dark. I tend to shoot lower ISO, longer exposure, just shy of getting star trails. My WB was set to 4700. The camera was my trusty Nikon D300, with a Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 lens. The images were shot at 11mm to take in as much of the sky as possible. Had it not been so cold and not wanting to mess with switching lenses and the associated risk of damage to the camera (think numb fingers, snow, frosted breadth, etc.) I would have loved to have taken a few shoots with my fish-eye lens.

Post production included some minor cleaning of noise, and then adjusting levels and curves. In the horizontal images (#1 and #3), I used a neutral density filter (PS software add-in) to brighten the foreground some, as the image was a bit too dark for what I felt was a good composition.

Really nice work! Thanks for sharing your PP work flow as well. thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    Awesome.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    Very nice!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    Absolutely spectacular. clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

I can envision myself sitting down all wrapped up in a warm blanket, totally relaxed in the crisp air and simply absorbing the view.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2015
    Thank you to everyone who provided feedback and commented on my images from Tromso, Norway.

I appreciate both your time in taking a look at my post and your comments!

Thanks again everyone.