Options

5dII Error 01

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 22, 2015 in Cameras
All lenses. Doesn't reset when switched off/on. Time for a trip to the Canon Hospital or anything else I can try?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited March 17, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    All lenses. Doesn't reset when switched off/on. Time for a trip to the Canon Hospital or anything else I can try?

If you have a vertical grip attached, remove that and try again.

If no external grip:

Make sure that the body is turned off. Remove both the main battery, plus the CMOS backup battery.

Correction: From: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1205511
    "5D, 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III - The small memory battery for these models is not located alongside the main/rechargeable battery. It's in a tray located on the lefthand side of the camera, right near the bottom of the rubber covers over the USB, PC, etc. sockets. Lift those covers out of the way, then look for a small screw. You need a precision Phillips screwdriver (probably size 0) to remove that retaining screw, before you can slide out the tray and access the battery. Be very careful not to lose the tiny screw!"

When both batteries are out of the camera, switch the camera on and leave for 1/2 hour or so. This should "Hard Reset" the camera and wipe all settings from the camera.

Turn the body off again, insert a new CMOS/backup battery, insert the main battery again, and turn on the body.

If you still get an error, turn off the camera again.

Remove any lens and look inside the body. Gently, and without touching the reflective part of the main mirror, gently, try to wiggle the main mirror to see if if is in the proper position.

If none of the above seems to help, it's probably time for authorized Canon service.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2015
    Thanks, Ziggy! (I was hoping you would see my post :) )

Went to go and start working through your list of suggestions, and lo and behold it was working perfectly (I had switched it off earlier when it locked). So... for now I guess I'm in wait-and-watch mode to see if it does it again. And making sure my 7d is ALWAYS with me on shoots for the time being in case the other camera plotzes on me!
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    Went to go and start working through your list of suggestions, and lo and behold it was working perfectly (I had switched it off earlier when it locked). So... for now I guess I'm in wait-and-watch mode to see if it does it again. And making sure my 7d is ALWAYS with me on shoots for the time being in case the other camera plotzes on me!

strange glitch - good that it is working again