Options

"Chat with a hero now"

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited March 23, 2015 in Bug Reporting
I can't find any reference to this new "feature" as SmugMug Product News - it just arrived without any announcement as far as I can see.

But how can I get rid of this annoying tab when managing my site, particularly in Lightbox mode when it moves to the side of the screen and obscures the "next page" arrow. Does this stuff get tested?

Comments

• Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 17, 2015
    Hi There,

There is a button to hide the notification window. If you cannot see it - please take a screenshot of what you can see and post it here.
    We will check this for you.

Standing by.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited March 17, 2015
    tomnovy wrote: »
    There is a button to hide the notification window. If you cannot see it - please take a screenshot of what you can see and post it here.
    We will check this for you.
    Really? I don't see a close button. There is a minimize arrow but the box still covers part of the page.

This started happening a few weeks ago and it is quite annoying. I don't mind the ? icon in the top right of the window when I am logged in. That is in a line with the standard header. But popping up a chat box on top of my page is not a good thing.

I've included a screen shot below showing the minimized chat window. If I open it I can click the down arrow to return to the minimized state but there isn't any way to close it entirely. It shouldn't be showing at all.

If you feel you need to provide this as an option for some of your users at least make it an option that I can turn off. I don't ever need an invitation to a chat popping on top of my site.

If I refresh the browser window the box disappears for a while but it usually pops back up again.

Screen shot is from Windows 8.1 and IE 11.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2015
    I just looked in another two tabs and it was there on both. Logged off, gone, logged back in
    and no sight of it. How do you get it to show? Do I just wait for some timing function to occur?
    What if I wanted to use it? BTW, no way to hide tab when showing here.

Just some questions above, I don't want to see it at all.

Edit: I do see it now in the drop under the help "?".
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2015
    Hi Everyone,

My fault - I have not looked at the subject of the thread. I thought W W Webster is talking about the NOTIFICATION POPUP window, that appears when SmugMug announces new updates { which has a close button }.

The CHAT WITH A HERO button does not have a close button. Chat is available from 9 am–8 pm ET, Monday through Friday (except holidays). This is when you will see the “CHAT WITH A HERO” option at the bottom of your browser.

We automatically disable chat on small screen devices.

I will take your feedback and I will forward it to our help writers - maybe they will be able to make some changes to it.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2015
    I will take your feedback and I will forward it to our help writers - maybe they will be able to make some changes to it.
    I don't think it's a help issue. I think it's a bug. In Lightbox mode, the tab moves to the right hand side of the screen and obscures the 'next page' arrow, meaning I cannot click on the arrow! Any amount of writing won't help me, unless it involves corrected code.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2015
    W. W. Webster our help writers are dealing with our help pages and the chat client. I have already forwarded a link to this thread to them - so they can see that the chat client is causing some issues.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2015
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2015
    W. W. Webster our help writers are dealing with our help pages and the chat client. I have already forwarded a link to this thread to them - so they can see that the chat client is causing some issues.
    Any status on getting this removed?

--- Denise
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2015
    Any status on getting this removed?

--- Denise
    We are looking into it. In the meantime have you tried restarting your browser? That should remove the chat window.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2015
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    We are looking into it. In the meantime have you tried restarting your browser? That should remove the chat window.
    Yes - but restarting my browser when I am working on something is not a good option.

--- Denise
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    Agreed. It's just a temporary workaround if you need to remove the chat box until we've come up with a solution.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    snakeey11snakeey11 Registered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 23, 2015
    I pushed out a fix for this over the weekend, so you shouldn't see it happen anymore. Please let me know if you do.
    Yes - but restarting my browser when I am working on something is not a good option.

Again, it shouldn't happen anymore, but if it does happen again for some reason, you don't actually need to restart the browser - this obviously still isn't ideal, but simply refreshing the page should make it go away.

-Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2015
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    I pushed out a fix for this over the weekend, so you shouldn't see it happen anymore. Please let me know if you do.

-Mike
    Thanks for the update Mike.
    I'll let you know if I see this again.

--- Denise