Australian not getting American hits

greyonegreyone Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited March 24, 2015 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi
I am based in Australia when i signed up for smug mug, who does not have
a print lab in Australia, and is obviously a US. based company i
expected to be presenting my images to the American people ????
Could some one please explain to me why i am only receiving hits from
Australia.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Childs
http://www.sunnypicsoz.com

It is not what you leave For your children but what you leave With them.

Comments

• pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    greyone wrote: »
    Hi
    I am based in Australia when i signed up for smug mug, who does not have
    a print lab in Australia, and is obviously a US. based company i
    expected to be presenting my images to the American people ????
    Could some one please explain to me why i am only receiving hits from
    Australia.
    Regards Geoff.

Hits don't just come. How are you marketing to your desired audience? Post your site and people here might be able to provide some advice on improving your search engine results. How are visitors finding your site now?

Dave
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 23, 2015
    i expected to be presenting my images to the American people ????
    Could some one please explain to me why i am only receiving hits from Australia.
    What have you done to make your site known to people? I can't look at your site since you haven't included a link to it here, but generally you need to drive traffic to your site; it doesn't just happen.

Do you have a blog? Do you post in online forums and include links to your site? Do you participate in sites like Google+? Do you market your site in any way?

There are some tips on this help page - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229846-how-do-i-make-my-site-seo-friendly-.

--- Denise
  • greyonegreyone Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2015
    Thanks for Australia or America replies
    Denise & Dave,
    Thank you for responding.

I have received this response from Smug Help:-
    " Your site is viewable from any country here http://www.sunnypicsoz.com
    The images are displayed in the USA. You would need to publicly market to your USA audience to attract more USA visitors. If all your friends and clients are in Australia, then this would be why you are only seeing Australian hits. "

You now have my Site link.
    I do submit images to "Smug Mug" and receive about 700 hits per day
    I do submit images to "Flickr" and receive about 500 - 1,0000 hits per day.
    I do submit images to "Fine Art America" and receive about 30 hits per day.
    I do submit images to "Google Views (Maps)" and receive about 800 hits per day.
    And i have posted some 600 new listings tweets to twitter.
    Other sites that I list images with to a lesser degree are :-
    Bonzle
    Facebook
    Pinterest
    500 PX

I don't run an active blog.

And the only USA hits i have received seem to be as a result of my direct mailing to the USA.

Awsome thanks to all who make the time to contribute to this thread.
    Cheers
    Geoff & Judy
    Geoff Childs

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 24, 2015
    I do submit images to "Smug Mug" and receive about 700 hits per day

I don't run an active blog.
    How are you determining the 700 hits per day? If that is from SmugMug statistics you should be aware that until last week the stats in smug included owner access (see Updated: Stats No Longer Count Owner Views).

Uploading images to your smugmug site does not generate traffic to the site. To generate traffic you need a source of inbound links, whether that is the result of marketing efforts, participating in social media, writing a blog with inbound links to your smug site.

Can you tell if your tweets generate hits to your smugmug site?

Your site is not currently linked from your profile here and is not known to viewers unless you remember to include the link in your post. It's a good idea to add it to your signature so it is always available to viewers here. Click the clipboard icon above, then Edit Signature. Begin your link with http:// to make it clickable.

From a site standpoint, I do have some overall comments. Note that these comments do not have anything to do with people finding your site; rather they are overall clean-up suggestions.

Clicking your ALL GALLERIES link opens a new browser tab. Although I may be alone in my behavior, if a site opens a new browser or browser tab and I didn't request it I usually close the site. I don't need browser tabs opening for no good reason.

The link to your contact photo is broken. If I open your contact form I see a broken link. That photo needs to be in a gallery that is available for public viewing (not private, and I believe not password-protected).

Every caption for your photos includes a multi-line text entry about purchasing your photos. It also includes a repeat of your copyright information. The text about purchasing your photos could go in the gallery description so it is shown only once. Use the caption only to describe the photo. Why the repeat of the copyright information under each photo when you are using a watermark on the photo that states the copyright? Why not add a copyright statement to the footer of your site as opposed to under every photo.

On your digital downloads page, the "sizes" sections is missing print size information:
    3. High Res size.
    In the 1-1.5 Format (1633 x 2450 pxl) will print up to approx. .........x .... " or ......... cm x ......... cm.

--- Denise
  • greyonegreyone Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2015
    Hi Denise,
    Many Thanks for your most recent reply, I am now digesting.
    cheers
    Geoff Childs