Results - Mini Challenge #203 - Lighthouses

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
edited April 1, 2015 in The Dgrin Challenges
First I have to thank everyone for giving me the chance to see so many great lighthouse photos.

Although Alan. said his weren't for judging, this photo is one that I wish I could take - not only would I like to visit Greece but I love the surf around the lighthouse.

2) Andros Lighthouse (Greece)

IMG_2138-XL.jpg
It was nice to see several views of some of the lighthouses - I liked this one of Alan's

Nubble Lighthouse - York, Maine
YorkBeach0102-L.jpg

And also this one of Pigeon Point Lighthouse by Sapphire
i-HdvvwQX-L.jpg

I also like to see the light in the lighthouse such as this one by
Jo West, and I also like the sea gull. I keep coming back to this one and it gets second place from me.

Yaquina Head, Oregon

IMG_9260-Edit%20Topaz%20adj%20signed-X3.jpg

And this one by Don has a misty quality but also the light inside shows red - I'm thinking that if you were a boat, you would be in danger.

2) Lighthouse in Nova Scotia

IMGP1397-L.jpg

This one of Sydadvgs shows another favorite thing of mine and that is the inside of the lighthouses and also includes a pun (groan)

Cape horn, bottom of the world.

i-sVJKZtQ-XL.jpg

I think there should be at least an HM for Sherry
for finding this photo

Fort Washington Lighthouse
P6079426-L.jpg

which is not only a nice photo of a lighthouse in my back yard (so to speak) but which I haven't seen, but I also appreciate the effort to find it. And I hope she will keep an eye out for more lighthouses

Although
Eric said this one wasn't an entry, I really got a kick out of it because most of the people are not looking out at the view, but are looking in at the Fresnel lens.

Old Point Loma Lighthouse
Sight%20Seeing-XL.jpg

And I was tickled to see this one by
Tatiana which is probably similar to what they are looking at
The lens on the top of the lighthouse tower at Point Amour, Labrador and I think I will give this one third place

lighthouse-pointamour-labrador-6-L.jpg

Even though Kate didn't know what one of the lighthouses she was taking a photo of was, she still gets a vote for fourth<table id="post1992460" class="dg-post" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead alt1" colspan="2"> Split Rock Lighthouse near Two Harbors):

splitrock-L.jpg</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="dg-post-user dg-align-center smallfont alt1" width="175">
</td> <td class="dg-post-content alt1" id="td_post_1992460">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

I have to give this photo by Tony a first place - even though I like photos of the outside of lighthouses, I just can't stop looking at this one

i-843PFh8-XL.jpg

So to summarize

HM Fort Washington Lighthouse by Sherry
Fourth Split Rock Lighthouse near Two Harbors) by Kate
Third The lens on the top of the lighthouse tower at Point Amour, Labrador by Tatiana
Second Yaquina Head, Oregon by Jo West
First View from the bottom looking up. by Tony
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    grandmaR wrote: »
    First I have to thank everyone for giving me the chance to see so many great lighthouse photos.

I have to give this photo by Tony a first place - even though I like photos of the outside of lighthouses, I just can't stop looking at this one

i-843PFh8-XL.jpg

So to summarize

HM Fort Washington Lighthouse by Sherry
    Fourth Split Rock Lighthouse near Two Harbors) by Kate
    Third The lens on the top of the lighthouse tower at Point Amour, Labrador by Tatiana
    Second Yaquina Head, Oregon by Jo West
    First View from the bottom looking up. by Tony

Thank you, Grandma. I wouldn't have climbed up to the top and shot
    down for the second image if I knew the from-the-bottom shot would
    be so well received.

I'll announce a new Challenge in a few days. I want to think about this
    one since there was such a small turn-out for my last choice.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited March 31, 2015
    Wonderful photos, all of them!

2) Lighthouse in Nova Scotia

Actually, that photo is Bass Harbor Lighthouse in Maine at Acadia National Park.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    Great subject GrandmaR, and congratulations to Tony and the others. Some really great photos here.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    Tony, I love that photo!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    Congratulations to Tony for an outstanding shot. clap.gif Good mini, GrandmaR. thumb.gif
    And - thanks for the second place mention!
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    Thank you, Grandma. I wouldn't have climbed up to the top and shot
    down for the second image if I knew the from-the-bottom shot would
    be so well received.

I'll announce a new Challenge in a few days. I want to think about this
    one since there was such a small turn-out for my last choice.

OH NO - both of them are great. I haven't tried shooting DOWN yet and I will keep that one in mind in case anyone cranks me or pushes or pulls me up to the top of a lighthouse.

The difference for me is that the shot down, while beautiful, I could tell what it was. The shot up was more like a graphics design.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    GrandmaR,

Thank yo for the mention. I am glad at least one of mine you liked.

Great shot, Tony, definitely a winner.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    There were so many good pictures that I did my first pass by picking the BEST one of each person's entry. I did like more than one of yours Don.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Thanks for the HM! I have enjoyed seeing all the lighthouse photos. I know this was some tough judging! Most are just so beautiful. I did love Tony's pics from both bottom and top, so congrats on the win as it is most deserved.

I live inland and rarely get to coastal areas to see lighthouses in person. My hubby is more of a mountains kind of guy so that's usually what we do when we travel. I am happy that I found the Fort Washington lighthouse for you. It's close enough to you so that you can visit it yourself. :D

The only other lighthouse that I have ever seen in person is the Split Rock lighthouse in Minnesota. I do have some (non digital) pictures of it somewhere, but never had time to hunt them down to scan. I definitely know that what I had was nowhere near as beautiful as Kate's image.

Great topic for this mini & great job judging.

Congrats to all.

Sherry