mobile friendliness?

2»

Comments

• mthibodeaumthibodeau Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2015
    Thanks - I took my slideshow out and now it says mobile-friendly again, so I'll see if it lasts. What I'd really like to see, though, is a truly responsive site that knows whether someone is accessing it on a phone, and would not put the slideshow on, or on a computer, and it would. Something like other sites do, where the mobile site would be m.smugmug.com and the desktop site smugmug.com, because without a slideshow the front page looks dumb on a computer.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2015
    If the carousel would pass muster for you as a slideshow alternative until they resolve the glitch, that seems to be working on my site.............
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 26, 2015
    mthibodeau wrote: »
    Thanks - I took my slideshow out and now it says mobile-friendly again, so I'll see if it lasts. ... Something like other sites do, where the mobile site would be m.smugmug.com and the desktop site smugmug.com, because without a slideshow the front page looks dumb on a computer.
    I don't believe your suggestion for a mobile URL will work because our site names already use the first position in the URL.

You can use CSS to hide and show page elements on smaller devices (although I don't know if that would change the results of the mobile-friendly check). See http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Sitewide/Screen-Width-Customizations.

You could change to use a static photo on your homepage instead of a slideshow - and that will resize on a mobile device and does not appear to cause a problem for the mobile-friendly verification.

--- Denise
  • IngIng Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2015
    Can you help me to make my website mobile friendly? I'm totally lost in this :(www.ingridaprilphotography.com
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2015
    Ing wrote: »
    Can you help me to make my website mobile friendly? I'm totally lost in this :(www.ingridaprilphotography.com
    There's nothing you need to do. We're looking into what's reported by the Google mobole friendly test and are working on some improvements - please see this post.
    If you're getting any email from Google about the mobile friendly test, you can just ignore those for now.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 26, 2015
    There's nothing you need to do. We're looking into what's reported by the Google mobole friendly test and are working on some improvements - please see this post.
    If you're getting any email from Google about the mobile friendly test, you can just ignore those for now.

I did google mobile friendly test and my website is not passing it. 'Google has drawn a line in the sand, go mobile-friendly or get penalized. According to Google’s Webmaster Blog, you have until April 21 to go mobile-friendly before their new search engine algorithm takes effect.'
    I would like to fix my website now while I have time and it's really not my thing I need help to do this pls.
    edited March 26, 2015
    Ing wrote: »
    I did google mobile friendly test and my website is not passing it. 'Google has drawn a line in the sand, go mobile-friendly or get penalized. According to Google’s Webmaster Blog, you have until April 21 to go mobile-friendly before their new search engine algorithm takes effect.'
    I would like to fix my website now while I have time and it's really not my thing I need help to do this pls.
    The post that was pointed to above notes that one of the content elements that is causing a problem here is the slideshow content element - and you are using that content element on your home page.

I think you have two choices:
    • wait for smug to make a change to that content block so it doesn't violate the guidelines of the mobile-friendly test. Based on rainforest1155's and leftquark's posts it sounds like they are working to meet the deadline
    • temporarily change the slideshow on your home page to something else. I have a single photo content block on my home page and that doesn't cause a problem with the mobile-friendly test. I'd imagine there are other content blocks that won't cause the problem as well. that would (likely) allow your site to pass now; you can change back to using a slideshow once a change is made by smugmug.
    --- Denise
    edited March 26, 2015
    The post that was pointed to above notes that one of the content elements that is causing a problem here is the slideshow content element - and you are using that content element on your home page.

I think you have two choices:
    • wait for smug to make a change to that content block so it doesn't violate the guidelines of the mobile-friendly test. Based on rainforest1155's and leftquark's posts it sounds like they are working to meet the deadline
    • temporarily change the slideshow on your home page to something else. I have a single photo content block on my home page and that doesn't cause a problem with the mobile-friendly test. I'd imagine there are other content blocks that won't cause the problem as well. that would (likely) allow your site to pass now; you can change back to using a slideshow once a change is made by smugmug.
    --- Denise
    Thank you Denise, I'll probably wait till smug makes changes. thumb.gif
  • Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2015
    Are there any plugins in particular that are causing the problem? I think my page is OK at the moment but wanted to double check as don't want to be penalised!
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2015
    Tom, you really don't have to worry. Google's deadline is still quite some time out and we'll the few content blocks that need tweaking adjusted by then.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 29, 2015
    Ok thanks, that's all I need to know I guess! :)
  • mrneutronmrneutron Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    The name servers for www.divatography.com are set to Wordpress. The www is properly going to your SmugMug site but you probably need to set forwarding (redirect) in your Wordpress account.
    Forward divatography.com to www.divatography.com
    Andy K
    SmugMug Support Hero
    help.smugmug.com
    edited April 4, 2015
    Thanks. It's become clear it's a WP setting and not one I can change; I'll try to chase it up on WP forums etc, but for now I guess I'll just leave it as is. As long as my navigation buttons are clear, people can get to either site from either site, so it shouldn't be a big problem, just a minor annoyance.
    edited April 4, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    Thanks. It's become clear it's a WP setting and not one I can change; I'll try to chase it up on WP forums etc, but for now I guess I'll just leave it as is. As long as my navigation buttons are clear, people can get to either site from either site, so it shouldn't be a big problem, just a minor annoyance.
    Couldn't you just move your domain to a different host?

--- Denise
    edited April 5, 2015
    Couldn't you just move your domain to a different host?

--- Denise
    One of the several options I need to investigate.... thumb.gif
    edited April 5, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    One of the several options I need to investigate.... thumb.gif
    I had one domain at GoDaddy.com and one at Register.com. Last year I decided I wanted both at the same registrar and went through the steps to transfer the domain at GoDaddy to Register.com - and I ended up using Register.com's phone support (available 24/7 according to their web site).

I would choose a host where hosting is a main part of their business, one that has support readily available.

--- Denise
    edited April 5, 2015
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited April 8, 2015
    We pushed a fix today to help ensure all SmugMug sites pass the Google Mobile Friendly Test. If any of your sites were failing before, they should now pass. Google hasn't released any documentation on what exactly causes the test to fail so if you do see any failures please post here so that we can make additional fixes. Ensuring your sites pass this test and remain on Google Search Results is extremely important to us.

As a reminder, the visual display of your site that Google Renders on their Mobile Friendly Test is not what your visitors will see. Your visitors will continue to see your beautiful, fully customized page. Additionally, all metadata and SEO content remains on the page and will continue to operate nominally.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited April 8, 2015
    mthibodeau wrote: »
    Thanks - I took my slideshow out and now it says mobile-friendly again, so I'll see if it lasts. What I'd really like to see, though, is a truly responsive site that knows whether someone is accessing it on a phone, and would not put the slideshow on, or on a computer, and it would. Something like other sites do, where the mobile site would be m.smugmug.com and the desktop site smugmug.com, because without a slideshow the front page looks dumb on a computer.

The slideshow content block now passes the Google Mobile Friendly Test, so if you'd like to add it back in, go for it!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited April 9, 2015
    Thanks for the fix guys! I think my site was OK before but nice to know that we can use any content block now without worrying about search engines penalising us! Much appreciated!