connect a separate monitor to laptop

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited April 7, 2015 in Accessories
Hi everyone.. I'm soon to be travelling and my laptop screen is BAD.. horrible magenta (that's what comes of being cheap) - I want to take my Acer Monitor (also cheap) and attach to laptop. I ordered an adapter which I thought would plug into monitor and then usb into laptop but the plug is way too small on the adaptor - I don't have hdmi on monitor and I think if I could find the right adapter it would work well. Any ideas?? This one was plugging into laptop via usb.
:dunno

Oh and Happy Easter All!!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 5, 2015
    We need to know what ports your Acer monitor does have. (All you told us is that it does not have HDMI.)

Barring that, what exact model Acer monitor do you have? (Generally on an ID plate on the back of the monitor.)

We also need to know what make and model laptop you have, and which operating system is installed. (Make and Model information is generally on the bottom of the laptop.)

Happy Easter to you too. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    We need to know what ports your Acer monitor does have. (All you told us is that it does not have HDMI.)

Barring that, what exact model Acer monitor do you have? (Generally on an ID plate on the back of the monitor.)

We also need to know what make and model laptop you have, and which operating system is installed. (Make and Model information is generally on the bottom of the laptop.)

Happy Easter to you too. clap.gif
    Hi Ziggy.. thanks for responding. Specially on Easter!! The monitor is a very inexpensive Acer 17inch LCD model number V173 (bought it for using in our RV)
    The Laptop is also low end - Gateway NE56R52U both are running Win. 7. The monitor's blue vga cable looks like a regular size 15 pin screw in. Not a mini. I looked on line again at Newegg and really can't see one that looks like the same size.. I guess I need software too? Software came with the cable I just sent back. I just want to mirror whats on my laptop screen onto my slightly better Acer. Thanks in advance for any help.bowdown.giflust
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 5, 2015
    Lynn,

This looks pretty easy. I looked at the specs of your laptop and monitor and from what I can see, a simple VGA cable should be all you need--no adapters, no software. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_3?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vga%20cable&sprefix=vga%2Caps%2C400
    edited April 5, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Lynn,

This looks pretty easy. I looked at the specs of your laptop and monitor and from what I can see, a simple VGA cable should be all you need--no adapters, no software. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_3?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vga%20cable&sprefix=vga%2Caps%2C400

Hi Richard..The laptop doesn't have a full size vga port..well it has a tiny one.. I was thinking I'd need a vga to usb. The one I got from newegg would have been great if the vga had been a 15 pin full size.. is there such a cable as a full size on one end and mini on the other.. thanks for getting back to me by the way xx
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 5, 2015
    Somebody must make a mini VGA to normal VGA cable or converter...dunno, but I don't think there's any reason to get USB into the mix here. Where's Radio Shack when you need it lol3.gif.

Maybe Gateway tech support could recommend something ne_nau.gif.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 5, 2015
    lynnma wrote: »
    Hi Ziggy.. thanks for responding. Specially on Easter!! The monitor is a very inexpensive Acer 17inch LCD model number V173 (bought it for using in our RV)
    The Laptop is also low end - Gateway NE56R52U both are running Win. 7. The monitor's blue vga cable looks like a regular size 15 pin screw in. Not a mini. I looked on line again at Newegg and really can't see one that looks like the same size.. I guess I need software too? Software came with the cable I just sent back. I just want to mirror whats on my laptop screen onto my slightly better Acer. Thanks in advance for any help.bowdown.giflust

Gateway site:

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/NX.Y1UAA.045
    "Interfaces/Ports

HDMI Yes
    Number of USB 2.0 Ports 3
    Total Number of USB Ports 3
    VGA Yes
    Network (RJ-45) Yes"

While the Gateway site didn't have many images, NewEgg.com had more images:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314412

According to the above, your laptop should have a regular D-Sub-15/VGA port on the left side of the machine, next to the fan vents.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 6, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Gateway site:

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/NX.Y1UAA.045
    "Interfaces/Ports

HDMI Yes
    Number of USB 2.0 Ports 3
    Total Number of USB Ports 3
    VGA Yes
    Network (RJ-45) Yes"

While the Gateway site didn't have many images, NewEgg.com had more images:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314412

According to the above, your laptop should have a regular D-Sub-15/VGA port on the left side of the machine, next to the fan vents.
    Hi Ziggy.. thanks for taking the time for all this.. Yes it does have a vga port but its very small and the vga on my monitor is big. Thats why I was looking for an adapter from big vga to usb. Maybe I should just buy another monitor that would fit.. shudda come up with the goods when I chose to buy a low end laptop right :D serves me right.
    edited April 7, 2015
    lynnma wrote: »
    Hi Ziggy.. thanks for taking the time for all this.. Yes it does have a vga port but its very small and the vga on my monitor is big. Thats why I was looking for an adapter from big vga to usb. Maybe I should just buy another monitor that would fit.. shudda come up with the goods when I chose to buy a low end laptop right :D serves me right.

so... this laptop in my RV is only to do basic post so I had the brilliant idea to calibrate the display on the crappy laptop to more fit my monitor at home... I'm making a mess of it of course, I keep uploading to smugmug to see the results and yes the magenta cast has gone leaving me with a slight slight yellow... which I spose I could fix easily with a curves adjustment at home. Maybe I should move this thread to finishing school? I can't figure out how to reset the display calibration to default to start again..
    rolleyes1.gif