Some video improvements please

dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
edited April 24, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
The default quality setting in the video player is Auto but there is no indication what quality setting that is.
I assume Auto is the best setting the viewers system can sustain but the lack of information makes me feel the need to select HD every time I play a video.
This setting should be available before the play button is enabled so you don't miss the first part of the video and have to start it again.

Also, there needs to be a loop feature on the player.

Cheers,

SCUBA%20Adventures-L.jpg
See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com

Comments

• mrneutronmrneutron Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    The system does sense your bandwidth and plays the best quality it can based on that. Others have requested a forced resolution setting as well. We'll pass it on as a feature request.
    Andy K
    SmugMug Support Hero
    help.smugmug.com
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    All I get here is "auto" in the control bar and have no idea what resolution is playing.
    It would be great if the actual resolution showed there instead of "auto". If I manually
    set a resolution that shows.

Actually, if I change to different resolutions I see no difference, video looks the same.
    480p > 1080p all look the same.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2015
    The default quality setting in the video player is Auto but there is no indication what quality setting that is.
    I assume Auto is the best setting the viewers system can sustain but the lack of information makes me feel the need to select HD every time I play a video.
    This setting should be available before the play button is enabled so you don't miss the first part of the video and have to start it again.

Also, there needs to be a loop feature on the player.

There is more to this then just wanting a new feature. When I play a video it always defaults to a low res setting even though I have a broadband connection and can easily play the 1080HD setting.
    1080HD is the only setting that looks bearable and even it looks bad when scaled down. Notice how much better the preview file (taken from the original video file) looks compared to the smugmug play back.

2060-L.jpg

Cheers,
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2015
    Now I see what is happening.

Smugmug starts out at the lowest resolution and slowly ramps up to the highest resolution possible like Netflix does.
    The problem is my short clips do not have ten minutes of opening credits to accommodate this.
    My viewers have already decided the resolution sucks and moved on.

Cheers,
  • mrdrewmrdrew Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    +1