2009 Mac Pro and GPU

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited April 26, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
I just bit the bullet and ordered the Photographers CC package from Adobe and have read about some issues with some graphic cards. I have a ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB installed and wonder if anyone here has this card and is using it with LR6.

This card plays well with CS6 with the GPU set in advanced mode, but I have read some cards that work with CS6 and Photoshop CC will not work with LR6.

I really hope I don't have to buy a new graphics card.

Also is there any way to see the use / performance of the graphics card? I am using OS X 10.9.5

Thanks!!

Sam

Comments

• chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    I just bit the bullet and ordered the Photographers CC package from Adobe and have read about some issues with some graphic cards. I have a ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB installed and wonder if anyone here has this card and is using it with LR6.

This card plays well with CS6 with the GPU set in advanced mode, but I have read some cards that work with CS6 and Photoshop CC will not work with LR6.

I really hope I don't have to buy a new graphics card.

Also is there any way to see the use / performance of the graphics card? I am using OS X 10.9.5

Thanks!!

Sam

Well, probably stating the obvious, but since you've paid for the software (which I personally think is a great deal) why not try it and see?
    Charlie Groh
    (tin can tied to the bumper)
  • Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    Yeah just try it and see. Don't see why it wouldn't work when integrated graphics does...
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    Laughing.gif!!!!!

Yes of course I will try it. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Just thought I would ask while waiting for delivery.

Is on the local truck for delivery and I will get it today. clap.gif

Sam
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    From Adobe LR6:

Minimum System Requirements

64-bit OS versions only
    OpenGL 3.3 and later
    Mac OS 10.9 and later
    Windows 7 and later

Note: Intel 4400 or later required

Note: GPU acceleration is disabled on Mac OS 10.8

Note: GPUs running under virtual machines are not tested or supported.

Suggested System Requirements & Graphics Cards

1GB of VRAM (Video RAM - RAM on the graphics card). 2GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high resolution monitors such as 4K & 5K monitors
    OpenGL 3.3. If you're not sure if OpenGL 3.3 is fully supported by your card, contact the manufacturer.

Graphics cards produced in the last 2-3 years that meet the minimum system requirements above should work fine. We don't have a list of specific supported cards at this time.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1825637?start=0&tstart=0
    edited April 24, 2015
    cmason wrote: »
    From Adobe LR6:

Minimum System Requirements

64-bit OS versions only
    OpenGL 3.3 and later
    Mac OS 10.9 and later
    Windows 7 and later

Note: Intel 4400 or later required

Note: GPU acceleration is disabled on Mac OS 10.8

Note: GPUs running under virtual machines are not tested or supported.

Suggested System Requirements & Graphics Cards

1GB of VRAM (Video RAM - RAM on the graphics card). 2GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high resolution monitors such as 4K & 5K monitors
    OpenGL 3.3. If you're not sure if OpenGL 3.3 is fully supported by your card, contact the manufacturer.

Graphics cards produced in the last 2-3 years that meet the minimum system requirements above should work fine. We don't have a list of specific supported cards at this time.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1825637?start=0&tstart=0

The info I found indicated the ATI Radion HD 4870 is OpenGL 3.3. While it only has 512MB the spec says "recommended 1GB" it does not say 1GB required. I have also read about Radion cards that are OpenGL 3.3 and have 1GB that don't work. Hence my questions.

Sam
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2015
    The info I found indicated the ATI Radion HD 4870 is OpenGL 3.3. While it only has 512MB the spec says "recommended 1GB" it does not say 1GB required. I have also read about Radion cards that are OpenGL 3.3 and have 1GB that don't work. Hence my questions.

Sam

Note that a GPU is NOT required for LR6. LR6 is the first release that has ever used the GPU. However, I don't know what performance hit there is if you don't have a GPU, but my guess is that it isnt too bad. There are lots of Macs without intel 4000 (mine included)
    edited April 24, 2015
    cmason wrote: »
    Note that a GPU is NOT required for LR6. LR6 is the first release that has ever used the GPU. However, I don't know what performance hit there is if you don't have a GPU, but my guess is that it isnt too bad. There are lots of Macs without intel 4000 (mine included)

True, but I would like to squeeze out all the speed I can. Also I don't know if my Mac has an Intel 4000 CPU or not?

I believe the GPU only speeds up the sliders in the development module, but there could be other speed related benefits.

Time will tell...................still waiting for the brown truck. :D

Sam
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2015
    GPU acceleration seems to be hit or miss in this initial version from the reports I've read and in general use it's not too different. Also outside of the development module things like imports/preview creation take just as long between LR5/6 in the test I ran yesterday. This is on a system with a Xeon W3540 2.93 GHz and GTX660 GPU which is 2 generations old now for their desktop line but it's still a fast-ish GPU and you'd think that it would make more of a difference.

I'm hoping they can leverage more out of it in the coming updates since I'm stuck with the CPU I have unless I get a new workstation but swapping out the GPU would be an easy and relatively affordable upgrade, as it would be on your MacPro.
    edited April 25, 2015
    Quick update.

Last night I installed LR6 CC, and it does recognize my GPU (ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB).

I am unclear at this time if using the GPU helps or not. I will try some comparisons today.

On my first comparison there seemed to be some stuttering with the GPU enabled. This may be due
    to the age / performance and low on board memory.

Thanks to all who took the time to post on this.

I will update as I find out more.

Sam
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2015
    Quick update.

Last night I installed LR6 CC, and it does recognize my GPU (ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB).

I am unclear at this time if using the GPU helps or not. I will try some comparisons today.

On my first comparison there seemed to be some stuttering with the GPU enabled. This may be due
    to the age / performance and low on board memory.

Thanks to all who took the time to post on this.

I will update as I find out more.

Sam

Do you mean it shows a slightly blurry image and then sharpens even when it's something that would be near instant in LR5? If so I still get that with a GPU 3-4x faster than yours, how long is the stutter for you?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 25, 2015
    Sam, I just downloaded LR CC today, I was wanting to wait for the serial numbered version, but I already was paying for PS CC so I figured wha the heck.

One thing I noticed immediately is that the since LR CC uses my GPU in my MacPro ( AMD FirePro D500 ) the software is definitely faster and when I grab and move an image at 2X size, much faster and much smoother in motion. My monitor is the LG 31MU97 4K display. The change is dramatic enough with my 2013 MacProTrash Can, to make LR CC a very worthwhile addition to my system. I will see what else transpires as I begin to work with it more. I did upgrade my catalog from LR 5s version as is typical with each new version of LR in the past.

From what I read about graphic cards on Adobe's site, they recommend a minimum of 1 Gb video memory on the graphics card, if you are using a 4K monitor. Not sure how that will affect you, Sam.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 26, 2015
    After a comprehensive cursory and totally unprofessional evaluation it would appear to the casual observer my ancient long in the tooth machine seems to be faster without the GPU being activated. :D

The stutter / blurring when using the GPU seems to a very noticeable second or two. An eternity in the world of whirring electrons.

Sam

PS: Further study confirms your observation that scrolling / moving image with the magic hand is smoother, and maintains the clarity instantaneously when using the GPU.

When not using the GPU it takes a brief / split second to redraw the image.

For me it looks like the choice is accepting a brief blur when first viewing an image and having a very smooth fast scrolling experience, or having the image open faster and accepting a slight delay when redrawing.

Looks like no having the cake and eating it.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 26, 2015
    Sam, I also own an early 2008 MacPro and I replaced the stock OEM video card it came with, with an Nvidia GeForce GTX285 and I note that it does indeed have 1024 MB or VRAM and hence would meet that 1 Gb VRAM requirement you mentioned.

Not sure if you are interested in replacing your video card in your 2009 MacPro, but OWC ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sapphire/100352MAC/ ) does offer a video card for 2009-2012 MacPros and it has 3Gb of VRAM. You may not want to spend that much for a newer video card, but it might offer some bump in speed for LR CC .

I have used parts from OWC for my Macs for years, and have never been let down. Good firm to deal with.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 26, 2015
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Sam, I also own an early 2008 MacPro and I replaced the stock OEM video card it came with, with an Nvidia GeForce GTX285 and I note that it does indeed have 1024 MB or VRAM and hence would meet that 1 Gb VRAM requirement you mentioned.

Not sure if you are interested in replacing your video card in your 2009 MacPro, but OWC ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sapphire/100352MAC/ ) does offer a video card for 2009-2012 MacPros and it has 3Gb of VRAM. You may not want to spend that much for a newer video card, but it might offer some bump in speed for LR CC .

I have used parts from OWC for my Macs for years, and have never been let down. Good firm to deal with.

I have purchased quite a few things from OWC and agree with you, their are a great supplier with great advice.

I also found this site for video cards http://www.macvidcards.com/contact.html Mac specific cards are priced high compared to the same card for a PC, yet with the later OX it semms that the genaric or PC cards will work in a Mac but with limitations.

From their web site:
    Some people may question why they should install a card flashed with a Mac BIOS as opposed to an official Apple released card or a stock PC graphics card (GPU). Here are a few of the benefits:
    1. Apple releases very few GPU options and they are often out of date compared to what is available for a PC.
    2. A Mac BIOS enables you to see the gray boot screen at startup (where you see the Apple logo and hear the iconic boot chime). This is very helpful for users who regularly need to switch boot drives and operating systems.
    3. When installed in a Mac Pro a stock PC GPU will only be able to utilize the outdated PCIe 1.0 format. A card flashed with a Mac BIOS will be able to work at PCIe 2.0 speeds, supporting twice the data rate.
    4. Cards with our Mac BIOS are able to run their full monitor arrangement (unless specifically noted) and make use of the most up to date technologies, including 4K monitor support and CUDA, OpenCL and OpenGL support.
    For me it's now a matter of working with what I have for a bit then evaluating (guessing) if a newer card would buy me anything.

Sam