Options

Pill Woodlouse Armadidillium vulgare From Corsica

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited May 1, 2015 in Holy Macro
This is the same species as I posted images of from my garden. At the time I photographed them I knew only that they were isopods but they looked a bit different from typical ones.

I found a dark one on a shaded rock, at the side of the car park of our second hotel, in central Corsica. The markings are more intense, with the ground colour darker and the yellow markings much more defined.

Only the first image is as intended. [Edit]By this I meant that it is sharp. The other two are not but show useful information. [Edit ends].The second one shows the pattern on more of the body and the third shows the gill plates (white) better than in my home-grown individuals. The front end of the third one was curved upwards and OOF.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm, 1/250 f11 ISO 400, twin TTL RC flash, hand-held.

I found a lighter, browner one on the vertical, pink-painted, hotel wall of our third hotel, on the west coast. This one lacked the distinct, yellow pattern.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm, 1/200 f11 ISO 200, single TTL RC flash, hand-held.

Both of these individuals seemed to have more climbing skill than the ones in my garden.*

* Yesterday I found another one in my garden, of similar colour to the paler one above, but darker. It had the most developed yellow pattern seen there so far, much like that in the first two images.

All images have been cropped for composition.

Harold

1128755.jpg

1128756.jpg

1128757.jpg

1128758.jpg

Comments