Options

A Few Things about the D750

MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
edited May 6, 2015 in Cameras
I thought I would share a few cool things I have found with the D750 when compared with the D610 or D7100. Most of these were not necessarily headline items.

1. The grip feels awesome. It is deeper, and the rubber is subtly softer.
2. There is a large meter on the top LCD screen that shows in all modes.
3. There is a monitor color adjustment which is cool for when you add a screen protector with a color cast.
4. There is pitch and roll on the virtual horizon now which is great for my wide angle shots.
5. The shutter seems quieter to me.
6. You can program the record button in still mode. I have mine set to adjust ISO. When I am in manual mode.....this is cool. I already can adjust ISO with a spin of a command dial in A/S modes, but in manual, I had to use my left hand to make it happen. Now it is a right hand only adjustment when in manual.
7. Group focus: I am still evaluating, but I think I did get improved shots in the last baseball game where I used this setting.
8. Store points by orientation: I just found this, and it seems pretty cool, especially in sports. I typically use the center focus area when in horizontal mode, and the upper third points when in portrait. This mode remembers where your points were that last time you shifted your camera. I cannot wait to play with this one.
9. Highlight weighted spot metering...I am interested in more testing on this one.
10. The color is different than the last few Nikons I own/have owned. It does not feel as blue and the reds seem different as well. I have not done any detailed comparison as I have been a bit busy.
11. The shutter rate and buffer are a DEFINITE winner over the D610 and especially the D7100.
12. The native ISO is 100 versus 200 ISO.

There are of course other differences that have been thrown around, but these were the surprises I thought I would share.

So far I am loving this camera.

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2015
    The REC button ISO control is a HUGE improvement for overall Nikon control. Actually, I suggested it the day they first came out with a REC button on the D800. I dunno if it was my suggestion that caught Nikon's eye, or if they had already planned on it, but when they released a firmware update for the D800 / D800e that added this function, I was over the moon.

The other thing that I cannot live without, but has already been on Nikons for years now, is 100% focus point zooming during playback with 1 click of the center / OK button. It makes such a huge difference, I really feel the slow-down in my shooting workflow whenever I have to use a camera that doesn't offer it.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2015
    The REC button ISO control is a HUGE improvement for overall Nikon control. Actually, I suggested it the day they first came out with a REC button on the D800. I dunno if it was my suggestion that caught Nikon's eye, or if they had already planned on it, but when they released a firmware update for the D800 / D800e that added this function, I was over the moon.

The other thing that I cannot live without, but has already been on Nikons for years now, is 100% focus point zooming during playback with 1 click of the center / OK button. It makes such a huge difference, I really feel the slow-down in my shooting workflow whenever I have to use a camera that doesn't offer it.

=Matt=
    Not sure I've noticed this yet. Probably haven't updated my firmware in a while! What does the Rec button do in terms of ISO? I only really use the dedicated ISO button for that!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2015
    Tom Foster wrote: »
    Not sure I've noticed this yet. Probably haven't updated my firmware in a while! What does the Rec button do in terms of ISO? I only really use the dedicated ISO button for that!

Liberate your left hand, my friend! God intended for photographers to control ISO with their right hand, trust me. :-P

You can adjust your ISO from the rear command dial, and you can toggle auto-ISO using the front command dial.
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2015
    Cheers, will give that a go next time I'm out!
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2015
    Also, put the setting for Easy ISO to On.

Then when in P,S,or A, you just need to spin one of the dials to adjust ISO.

The Movie record setting button is for manual operation for ISO.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2015
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    Also, put the setting for Easy ISO to On.

Then when in P,S,or A, you just need to spin one of the dials to adjust ISO.

The Movie record setting button is for manual operation for ISO.

You can use the REC button to change ISO in any of those modes, actually, and I usually leave my secondary conmand dial set to do exposure compensation. But yeah, easy ISO is indeed great for certain conditions...

=Matt=