Photo URLs

Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
edited May 10, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Any chance of getting photos to have Custom URLs in the near future (or have their name generated based on photo title)? Seems like that would be great in terms of SEO and also just for clients/viewers!

Comments

• Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2015
    Tom, I think our photos already have these kind of links. Because when you go to the share-button and then use "get a link" -> "direct link" you'll see that the link you get is the one with the entire filename. If you go to "embeddable links" you'll see that your link contains pretty much everything, including the caption as alt-attribute and the title as title-attribute as well as the filename in the url. So it is only when you visit your website that it looks like these short links that seem to have no connection to our files. I suspect this is not only but also to have short links and to be able to implement the feature of blocking your photos from being shared by everybody who visits your site (or being easily downloaded for that matter).

So our SEO should not be harmed by the shortened links that smug mug uses in the url in your browser.

But I can only guess, I don't work for them :)

Best regards

Lille Ulven
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • McKsauceMcKsauce Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2015
    Hey Tom,

Kaydin here from the SmugMug support team!

Please let us know if Lillie's info did not fully answer your question. We're happy to elaborate if needed. Simply shoot an email to help@smugmug.com or respond in this thread with a little more info as to what you're wanting to know and we'll do our best to help. Any examples/links you have can help us help you as efficiently as possible.

Have a wonderful weekend!
    ----

SmugMug Support Hero -

----
  • Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2015
    Tom, I think our photos already have these kind of links. Because when you go to the share-button and then use "get a link" -> "direct link" you'll see that the link you get is the one with the entire filename. If you go to "embeddable links" you'll see that your link contains pretty much everything, including the caption as alt-attribute and the title as title-attribute as well as the filename in the url. So it is only when you visit your website that it looks like these short links that seem to have no connection to our files. I suspect this is not only but also to have short links and to be able to implement the feature of blocking your photos from being shared by everybody who visits your site (or being easily downloaded for that matter).

So our SEO should not be harmed by the shortened links that smug mug uses in the url in your browser.

But I can only guess, I don't work for them :)

Best regards

Lille Ulven
    McKsauce wrote: »
    Hey Tom,

Kaydin here from the SmugMug support team!

Please let us know if Lillie's info did not fully answer your question. We're happy to elaborate if needed. Simply shoot an email to help@smugmug.com or respond in this thread with a little more info as to what you're wanting to know and we'll do our best to help. Any examples/links you have can help us help you as efficiently as possible.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Thanks for the replies!
    I see that those links exist Lille but in terms of both customer ease of use and SEO the web address matters too. Even through the 'Get a Link' thing, the best I get is for example: http://www.edinburghphotography.com/Popular/i-JxHw4jq/3/Th/DSC_1408-Th.jpg

Which is even more of a mouthful than the original http://www.edinburghphotography.com/Popular/i-JxHw4jq/

I think it would be beneficial if the title assigned to the photo became the URL for that photo (as already applies for page naming and page URLs).
    This would mean that instead that photo would have the following URL:
    http://www.edinburghphotography.com/Popular/Twilight-Balmoral-and-Castle/ (or similar)
    This to me looks a lot more user friendly and would be a lot more search engine friendly too!

If for whatever reason people prefer the scrambled URLs I think this should be a gallery option that can be turned on/off as preferred :)