Options

Flash Meter to start with

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited May 12, 2015 in Accessories
Dear all,
I am looking for a flash meter to reduce considerably the time I need to set up my lights. I know that for example the Sekonic L-758DR is a very good one but the price tag is a bit on the expensive scale (around 500 euros).
I was wondering if you have any cheaper alternative that you could suggest me.

I would like to thank you for your reply
Regards
Alex

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2, 2015
    I think should move to accessories. Sorry admins, can you please move it accordingly?
    Alex
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited May 2, 2015
    Alois, I have used a Sekonic L-358 Flash Master for years and it works great - it will even trigger PW fired strobes to measure the flash output rather than having to punch a shutter. Unfortunately, they are no longer being sold new, not sure if you might find a used on on eBay or not.

Sekonic does offer a Litemaster Pro L-478D Light Meter at B&H for $339.00 which should easily meet your price of less than 500 euros. - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/221078-REG/Sekonic_401_358_L_358_Flash_Master_Meter.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2015
    Thanks for the answer. I appreciate.
    There are few things that I do not understand
    I am trying to find out which of the models you suggested me have 1 degree spot metering.
    In the specs sheet like this one for example
    http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-358_english.pdf the word spot is only given once ...

The other think is about the radio triggering. Currently I am on some cheap yongnuo triggers. Does the flash meter support all the triggering wireless system (it might be that they use just the same frequency) or you have to couplie it with appropriate triggers.

That is all for now
    Alex
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited May 3, 2015
    The L-358 is designed as an incident meter, not a reflected meter. There is, or was, an accessory for small reflected area metering, but it is not built into the L358. The L358 also accepted a small accessory that was installed inside the battery compartment to trigger wireless flash triggers like Pocket Wizards. I have the radio trigger in my L-358 and it works great with PWs. I have no experience using it with young Yongnuo triggers. Maybe another reader here knows the answer to that question.

The L478 flash meter from B&H comes with the radio trigger for $399.

Incident metering offers significant advantages over reflective metering if you can position the meter close to the subject in the lighting that will be used for photographing. For reflective spot metering, I found the meter built into my DSLR much more useful than the narrow angle attachment for the L-358. I never use the L-358 units reflective metering mode - it was designed as an incident meter and that's how I used it.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2015
    Thanks for the answer.. I guess then I do not really need to buy a meter (As long as it is accurate) with an integral radio trigger. I can just hold my spare radio trigger on my second hand. Is not that simple?
    The reason for the spot metering was to get that tiny 1 degree metering accuracy. My camera also has a spot meter but I do not think is small enough to be 1 degree.
    Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited May 5, 2015
    alaios wrote: »
    ... I can just hold my spare radio trigger on my second hand. Is not that simple? ...

Yes, that's what I do.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    chaddchadd Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2015
    The Sekonic L-308S is a good, cheap meter to start with.