Options

The Old Sugar Plant - 4x5 Large Format

Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited May 21, 2015 in Street and Documentary
I just finished drying this negative and scanning it in. This is the old sugar plant in my home town. There are these sugar plants stretching along the front range. Most are now abandoned as they beets are processed somewhere else. This old plant is still going though. I'll need to get a shot of the actual buildings soon.

I used some front tilt to focus on just the train cars and buildings.

Taken with a Zone VI 4x5 and Kodak Ektar 203mm F7.7 lens. Shot on Foma 200 film rated at 120 and developed in Pyrocat MC for 8.5 minutes.

17879715522_b0e93950a9_o.jpgSugar Plant by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2015
    There's a lot to like in this shot, the sense of space that you get in the West, the tracks leading the eyes in different directions. Even though this place is still active, the fact that there is not a soul in sight provides a sense of loneliness/abandon. I really like how the train wants to get out of the frame...

Very nice shot!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    There's a lot to like in this shot, the sense of space that you get in the West, the tracks leading the eyes in different directions. en though this place is still active, the fact that there is not a soul in sight provides a sense of loneliness/abandon. I really like how the train wants to get out of the frame...

Very nice shot!

15524779-Ti.gif ... and I think the gray tones here are excellent. The light pole to the right of the train car is somewhat domineering but I realize that it comes with the territory when documenting a scene such as this. Nice work.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53