Yoo Hoo...

rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
edited May 22, 2015 in Cameras
Don't ask where I've been... I somehow just vanished one day, and stopped reading or posting, for no particular reason. Sad, really... but, hey, here I am.

I have a question, and I hope that all of you can answer.

I am shopping for a new camera.
I have my Rebel T2i...

I am ready... Like TODAY probably, to buy---

Can someone tell me why the Canon 70D would be better than the Rebel T6s? ETA 70-D!

What am I forgoing by chosing to stay with Rebels? I look at specs and don't SEE differences that are apparent enough to me...
Both are in my budget....

Appreciating any insights!

Off to admire some photos here, thanks,
Trish

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2015
    Trish - first of all - welcome back!

I too am looking to upgrade my older Rebel models (300D - circa 2003 and 1000D - circa 2008). I have been looking at the 5D Mark III. After reading your post, I did a comparison through B&H of the 5D, 70D and the T6s. And now I am wondering the same thing - should I stay with the Rebel since it looks comparable, and in some aspects, better (e.g., pixels) than the 70D, and close to the 5D except for some items like AutoFocus Points.

So, my post doesn't really help you decide ne_nau.gif.....but yours help me to rethink what I am looking at. Thanks!! :D
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2015
    Thanks!
    Laughing.gif.... let's get this figured out... I see that the D70 has better weather-proofing
    The built in flash acts as a wireless commander--something I don't NEED yet but am determined to start using off camera flash some day...
    I HEAR that the mega-pixel issue is somewhat silly after a certain number, unless you are doing BIG THINGS.
    OK, GO!
    edited May 21, 2015
    OK........
    ISO:
    5D = 100 to 256000 (High Sensitivity mode 50 to 102400)
    70D = 100 to 128000 (Sensitivity Mode 100 to 256000)
    T6s = same as 70D
    Still trying to figure out why and where I would possibly need 256000 ISO!!?

Shutter speed: 5D and 70D have faster capapbility
    5D = 1/8000 - 30 sec
    70D = 1/8000 - 30 sec
    T6s = 1/4000 - 30 sec
    Not sure that I would use even 1/4000 - ever!

Shutter - the 5D is strictly Mechanical, whereas the 70D and T6s are both Electronic and Mechanical.

and ...........it appears from the comparison that the 70D does not have a Remote Control option? That doesn't seem likely, but B&H left this option blank.

Back to you! :smack
    edited May 21, 2015
    I was actually using this list as well ... I added your choice to it ...
    All three seem to be remotely operated by smart phone!
    Hey, anyone else who knows better or has an opinion, pipe up, will you?? Don't be shy!

(it's dPreview... I hope that's ok to post here?)
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos70d&products=canon_eos760d&products=canon_eos5dmkiii
    edited May 21, 2015
    I take back what I said about the remote control - the 70D does have remote control capability.

And................... it appears that the 70D has better bracketing than the T6s (which I suspect is the normal 3 bracket)
    edited May 21, 2015
    Trish - not sure how important the AEB bracketing is for you, but I think I'm leaning away from the T6s because of that. I would like to have the option of more than 3 exposures for HDR.
    edited May 21, 2015
    Sad no one else wants to play with us, Jo...rolleyes1.gif
    I can't say that the AEB is something I deal break on... overall, both seem SO similar except with regards to MP....
    edited May 21, 2015
    Maybe they think we're ......:deadhorse ?

I think this thread has helped me more than it has you.......you made me think a little more about what I am actually looking for. Thanks for that. :D

And yes, a little more input from some others would be helpful.
    edited May 21, 2015
    Well... .since the T6s is barely out there to buy and the 70D has been a while, I was hoping some 70D owners would join in the fun??
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 21, 2015
    I suggest also looking at used Canon 7D bodies. With a recent firmware, this camera still seems very modern, and the costs for a used 7D really dropped when the 7D Mark II hit the streets.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 22, 2015
    Thanks, Ziggy. One of my other concerns is that I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and wear braces, and I have very small hands. I have actually held the 7D and although on paper it is only marginally larger than my current camera, it was extraordinarily clumsy and way heavy. I don't have the option for surgery at this moment. Truly, the one thing beyond anything else that may lead me to the T6s is the way it fits in my hands.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2015
    I think the 70d is one of Canon's best - I don't own one, but the (real life) images I've seen from it are gorgeous, and the AF is supposed to be beyond good. Pick one up and see if it's too heavy/large for you; if not, you may find it EASIER than the Rebel because of the two-wheel set up (no more holding the button down with your thumb to switch between aperture and shutter on the front wheel - I'm assuming the Rebels are still set up like that).

PS those models may all offer similar high ISO settings, but that doesn't mean the sensor will handle them in the same way. Meaning... the images may look quite markedly different at similar ISO settings. In particular the full frame 5d series is completely different because of the sensor size difference; not even worth comparing, really.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2015
    If you are still looking:

Given that you have carpal tunnel syndrome, you may want to handle all of them. The 70D is quite a bit heavier than the T6i. The 7D is somewhat heavier than the 70D, but the difference is smaller. What you give up with the Rebels is the better ergonomics and controls of the 60/70D and 7D.