Options

New Photog Looking For Constructive Criticism

Ttop97Ttop97 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 2, 2015 in Street and Documentary
Hi Guys,
I'm a new photographer. I'm currently using a bridge camera and have taken many shots of the streets round where I live. I've taken the shots in AV mode as I'm not familiar with shutter speed and iso settings yet.

I realise some of my photos don't have strong subject matter and some don't appear aswell as they should due to my camera's inability to deal with low light.

But I'd appreciate it if you could give me some feedback and criticism.

I've compiled the images in to a flickr album as there are quite a few and I feel it may clog up the forum a little if there are too many:https://www.flickr.com/gp/133686075@N03/8B11Fp

thanks,
Ttop97

Comments

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2015
    Welcome to Dgrin and photography Ttop97… if you end-up being bit by the “photo bug”, you’ll find that it’s both a blessing and a curse… but terribly fun either way! I looked at your flikr post, and while I don’t have any specific feedback because imo the images are - as you mentioned - more of an exercise to learn the camera rather than finished images, I do have some general suggestions based on my own experiences after being “bit”:

Become a student of the key elements of photography… light, shadow, angle, light, perspective, optics, exposure (aperture/iso/shutter-speed), light, subjects, light, composition, camera, light, light, light!!!

There is an infinity of learning material on-line… too much really. So, in addition to “book learning”, I suggest joining a camera/photography club for a more personal and social learning experience.

There is also an infinity of opinions out there… appreciation of photography can rest on the fundamentals of technique and process, while at the same time be a very subjective and personal experience for people – don’t be surprised if what you think is your best work, is an opinion not always shared by others (especially other serious photographers). Set and work towards personal goals – aim high and you will be energized and encouraged as you learn and progress… there will be images that really click for you, and your viewers – it’s cool when that happens.

Take lots of pictures… but look at far more pictures than you take – analyze what it is about certain images that make them catch your eye, and keep those elements in-mind as you search for your own compositions. Don’t be afraid to toss pictures – truth is, for most amateur/enthusiast photographers, tossers far outnumber keepers… learn from the rejects though, it’s a win-win situation that way.

I could blabber on and on, but you get the idea… happy shooting – have fun!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2015
    This look more like a test of your camera rather than a display
    of your ability to take photographs. I didn't go through all of them,
    but none seem to have interesting content.

If you want critique of your images, take and post two or
    three images that you think are interesting shots. That would
    be far more likely to elicit comments that might be helpful to
    you.

Just in general, keep the position of the sun in mind. Several
    of your photos are shot into the sun. This results in flare,
    blowout, and poor lighting of the subject. Your auto setting
    is reacting to the average light and thus underexposing the
    subject while overexposing the background.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    Welcome to Dgrin and photography Ttop97… if you end-up being bit by the “photo bug”, you’ll find that it’s both a blessing and a curse… but terribly fun either way! I looked at your flikr post, and while I don’t have any specific feedback because imo the images are - as you mentioned - more of an exercise to learn the camera rather than finished images, I do have some general suggestions based on my own experiences after being “bit”:

Become a student of the key elements of photography… light, shadow, angle, light, perspective, optics, exposure (aperture/iso/shutter-speed), light, subjects, light, composition, camera, light, light, light!!!

There is an infinity of learning material on-line… too much really. So, in addition to “book learning”, I suggest joining a camera/photography club for a more personal and social learning experience.

There is also an infinity of opinions out there… appreciation of photography can rest on the fundamentals of technique and process, while at the same time be a very subjective and personal experience for people – don’t be surprised if what you think is your best work, is an opinion not always shared by others (especially other serious photographers). Set and work towards personal goals – aim high and you will be energized and encouraged as you learn and progress… there will be images that really click for you, and your viewers – it’s cool when that happens.

Take lots of pictures… but look at far more pictures than you take – analyze what it is about certain images that make them catch your eye, and keep those elements in-mind as you search for your own compositions. Don’t be afraid to toss pictures – truth is, for most amateur/enthusiast photographers, tossers far outnumber keepers… learn from the rejects though, it’s a win-win situation that way.

I could blabber on and on, but you get the idea… happy shooting – have fun!

Welcome to dgrin! Eric's response is spot on. thumb.gif
    The best way to get feedback and grow photographically is to shoot, shoot, shoot and expose those pics that mean something to you to this forum for criticism. It's great when you have positive comments, but in my experience, you learn when people give honest feedback. You also learn, as it sometimes happens to all of us, when no one comments, then you know you didn' t connect. But don't be shy, we are a friendly bunch. I have learned a lot over the years with Dgrin.

I saw your gallery, I would suggest you pick a couple and post them and see what happens!
  • Options
    Ttop97Ttop97 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2015
    Hi guys thanks for all your help!

I'll post up seven pictures I think are good for criticism!

18130426630_0fc3322f58_h.jpg

18291788936_324c05daf3_h.jpg

I took this photo and made an edit afterwards. Heres the before....
    YKp69It.jpg

And here's the after............
    pd9G09m.jpg

With this photo I wanted to focus in on the postbox and then have a slightly blurred background but I din't know how to achieve this effect:
    18132175289_5f4f878d78_h.jpg

18291992186_64736b492b_h.jpg

18314713622_1a9ed0fb88_h.jpg

17697827363_3618f50e1b_h.jpg
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2015
    Am in general agreement with what's already been said, but consider it worth re-mentioning the 'tossing of duds' ... especially with respect to what you display on your site / Flickr page.
    I see little point in displaying copies (or nearly so versions) of images ... or, indeed, multiple shots taken at the same location, from slightly different viewpoints, where the extra images don't really add anything new for the viewer to peruse.
    It also (to me, anyway) indicates a reluctance (inability?) to critically analyse one's pics ... and select the best of the bunch.

I see this a lot in galleries (so you're not alone), across all genres, where it's pretty obvious that the individual concerned has had 'a good day / light etc' ... and uploads a bunch of similar stuff ... which just gets ... well, ... boring.

Re sun position ... yes, definitely keep it in mind, but certainly don't discount the possibility of backlit shots ... some of my favourites have been lit in this way :)
    Trading nicely lit (masses of) detail for a more evocative mood is no bad thing at times, imo.

Of the shots I've seen upto now, the letter box shots / sequence struck me as the most promising, because you were actively trying different povs in order to emphasise the subject.
    If you want to follow / revisit this 'letter box' theme, though, I'd suggest finding one that doesn't have a telephone pole / lampost in the vicinity ...

If you still want to keep all variations of pics ... for whatever reason ... eg record of progress? ... then I'd suggest making the dupes on your Flickr page private viewing only?

pp

Edit
    Joining a club / group certainly has some tangible benefits ... like trying other people's gear before you buy / 'upgrade' ... but if you're not a 'club' type of person, it's not necessarily such a good idea ... imo.
    It also depends on what sort of shots / genre you become / are interested in taking, since spreading of expenses (on group outings / using club studio lighting etc) can be useful.

Edit 2
    Becoming a 'student of the key elements of photography' as Eric (Earache) suggests is excellent advice - altho one key element wasn't mentioned in this list ... background.

Another (people) photographer here (zoomer) once summed up his approach as
    Light
    Background
    Composition
    Pose

Multitudes of otherwise acceptable / ok / good / brilliant pics have been spoilt over the years by having background elements included in the image that don't help / ruin it.

Also, probably obvious ... although deciding what particular aspect / genre(s) of this lark might be difficult at this (early) stage, it'll certainly save you money in the long run, from not buying irrelevant kit ... altho' you'll probably still spend it on buying even better / more of what you think you 'need' :)
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2015
    I think the first two shots of the series are promising. I find#1 pleasing with good composition, the road not centered, but starting from a corner of the frame. This might work well in black and white. I also like #2.