When you shoot HS seniors is another adult always there?

GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited June 25, 2015 in Mind Your Own Business
Kind of an ethical/legal question. I have shot a couple of seniors this year and it's been fun. The male I have known for years and the shoot was at my house and school and it was just him and I. The female (I have also known for years) was also done at my house, outside and her mother was there also.
I am just wondering how other photogs handle seniors.

1: Do you always have another adult on site during the shoot?
2: Does it matter if the senior is of the opposite sex or is over 18?
3: Do you have your requirements spelled out in the contract?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Glynn

Comments

• Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    I require an adult to be present and I don't provide the other adult.

I do not spell it out in the contract.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Yes-- I always require an adult to accompany ANYONE (male or female) I shoot who is under 18. For one, I get releases for everyone I shoot and minors can't legally sign releases.

Secondly, it prevents all kind of potential issues. A lot of teens act differently around their parents than they do around their friends. You don't want to do a shoot only to find out a parent had forbidden their teen from wearing that sexy outfit or whatever.

Thirdly, if you make it clear that a parent/guardian needs to accompany the teen on a shoot, right away you've set yourself up as a professional who isn't creepy.

Save yourself all kinds of hassles -- make it clear from the start that not only are parents welcome at a shoot, they're required.

BTW: on my shoot Saturday, the 16-year-old girl brought her mom and grandmom. It was a blast. Three different generations of one family and they all had different perspectives on life. I love to chat up my clients so that really made the shoot lots of fun.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Yes-- I always require an adult to accompany ANYONE (male or female) I shoot who is under 18.

Perfect advice...On the upside, it can lead to additional bookings and sales.
    Steve

Website
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Yes, and it's in my terms. I will not ever do a senior (or any minor) w/out the parent or legal guardian.
  • GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Thanks everyone, I guess in some ways it was a dumb question. I will be ready when I get the next inquiry for a senior shoot!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Parents are really good at holding reflectors.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Parents are really good at holding reflectors.

Yikes-- they may be good a holding the reflectors, but they never quite seem to get the light quite right, at least in my experience. Even after I show them EXACTLY where they should hold it and how the light should be, they always seem to move the reflector while I'm shooting! :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Mulder32Mulder32 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    2 cents
    I have only done 1 senior shoot (boy) and his mom and dad were their. I used to be a HS teacher and was falsely accused of sexual contact with one of my female students. We were indeed alone in my classroom (my mistake), but no sexual contact took place. It ruined my career (in fact, we are still cleaning up--going on almost 2 years ago since I was arrested), but lead to a new one (and possibly better)! I'm now using my photojournalism degree to run my own business.

I will never, ever shoot an under 18 photo session without a parent or guardian there. Learn from my mistake if you're not doing this--always have a parent there!
    Mike
    Canon 2 x 5D, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8IS, 50 f1.4, 580EXII, 2 x 550EX, CP-E4
  • BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Mulder32 wrote:
    I have only done 1 senior shoot (boy) and his mom and dad were their. I used to be a HS teacher and was falsely accused of sexual contact with one of my female students. We were indeed alone in my classroom (my mistake), but no sexual contact took place. It ruined my career (in fact, we are still cleaning up--going on almost 2 years ago since I was arrested), but lead to a new one (and possibly better)! I'm now using my photojournalism degree to run my own business.

I will never, ever shoot an under 18 photo session without a parent or guardian there. Learn from my mistake if you're not doing this--always have a parent there!

Wow, I don't know if you were convicted or not, but if by your own admission you were 'only' kissing and hugging this girl on several occasions behind the closed doors of your classroom, it certainly wasn't a 'false accusation'. I think if I were you I would stay away from underage girls altogether!
  • Mulder32Mulder32 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Blaker wrote:
    Wow, I don't know if you were convicted or not, but if by your own admission you were 'only' kissing and hugging this girl on several occasions behind the closed doors of your classroom, it certainly wasn't a 'false accusation'. I think if I were you I would stay away from underage girls altogether!

I was not convicted of the original charges--the girl's story starting falling apart with multiple accounts, and evidence came out that proved parts of her story were not true.
    Mike
    Canon 2 x 5D, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8IS, 50 f1.4, 580EXII, 2 x 550EX, CP-E4
  • Pick44Pick44 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 9, 2015
    Mulder32 wrote: »
    I was not convicted of the original charges--the girl's story starting falling apart with multiple accounts, and evidence came out that proved parts of her story were not true.

Some criminals can be charming and somewhat almost convincing “model citizens”. Criminals defend themselves by trying to attack the survivor again – challenging “her version” of the story. Criminals that “act” pleasant may gather pity. However, laws were put into place for a reason. Mulder (older than 32), criminals should be held accountable for their actions. In your case: Politics, the Teachers Union, and the “Good Old Boys Club” protected your assets.
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2015
    Pick44 wrote: »
    Some criminals can be charming and somewhat almost convincing “model citizens”. Criminals defend themselves by trying to attack the survivor again – challenging “her version” of the story. Criminals that “act” pleasant may gather pity. However, laws were put into place for a reason. Mulder (older than 32), criminals should be held accountable for their actions. In your case: Politics, the Teachers Union, and the “Good Old Boys Club” protected your assets.

This thread is seven years old.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Pick44Pick44 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 24, 2015
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    This thread is seven years old.

Regardless if it is a few years old, it disappoints me when people try to sugar coat their crime.
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2015
    Pick44 wrote: »
    Regardless if it is a few years old, it disappoints me when people try to sugar coat their crime.

His last post was November, 2011
    He's not going to see it, let alone read it. thumb.gif
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com